I think it's finally happening!!!!!! [Does this sound like egg laying behavior?] Please!! I'm going

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WRVgirl, Nov 28, 2012.

1. WRVgirl

WRVgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    My hens are both going on 8 months old and haven't laid a thing except poops the size of my palm!

They are on the good feed, cracked corn and oyster shell...

I read on another post here that the eggs are kind of slimy when they are first laid, and a little lightbulb went off in my brain. One of my girls, recently, has started having some matting around her vent...it's not bad, just a few little fluff feathers here and there, stuck together with what looks like white glue [I could tell you what I really think it looks like, but that would be inappropriate to share on a public forum...ha ha ha]

So I grabbed my flashlight and decided to go wander the yard and see if they've been laying somewhere other than their coops...

I didn't find any eggs, but I also couldn't find my hens.

Usually they run right up to you when they hear the back door open.

Earlier this morning, one of the hens was making almost distressed clucking noises, I thought she was just looking for her sister, but when I couldn't find them, I checked the coop.

The distressed hen [poop chicken] was laying in the nesting box, tail pointed high in the air, and shifting around every minute or so, like she was trying to get comfortable. Her sister was standing outside the nesting box [like she was keeping guard]

My hens don't sleep with their tails pointed up, if anything, they tuck them under and stretch out. This hen was tail up and moving between a laying and a squatting position...

Could this be it??? Could she be in the process of laying an egg???

I feel like I'm waiting for someone to give birth right now!!! But I don't want to get overly excited in case they're just hanging out in the coop.

How long does it take them to lay an egg? Should I keep checking them or leave them alone? Does this even sound like egg laying behavior??? Or am I going mad?! lol

2. WRVgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I was right! I was right! I was right!

I popped back out after I wrote the thread and both chickens were moving around the coop. They came out when they saw me and I thought that I was wrong for sure...but when I opened the coop lid, there it was, in all it's shiny, warm, brown glory! My first egg!

I am absolutely over the moon excited. I gave the girls an extra handful of mealworms for a job well done, and I'm super duper excited that they laid it in the coop instead of out in the yard!

Hopefully there will be more eggs to come!

And as for my hubby, who told me that the chickens were worthless since they haven't laid anything yet...well, he can suck it! I made this picture the background pic on his laptop :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. That sounds a lot like when my chicken layes an egg it's tail is pointed up and she shifts around a lot mine usually sits in there for about 10 min then when they get out there is a egg

4. jojomojo

jojomojo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    Yay! The first egg is so exciting!

I love that you made that pic his desktop background [​IMG]

5. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    YAY for the first egg!!!!

6. WRVgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    That's what he gets for threatening to eat my chickens!!!!

7. YAY I was REALLY REALLY excited when I saw the first egg [​IMG]
    So congratulations !!!!

8. WRVgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    I've got a feeling that I'm going to be compulsively checking the coop from here on out.

9. Euphillia

Euphillia Out Of The Brooder

YAY!! I got my second egg today. SOOOO exciting when it happens!

10. WRVgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    I wonder if I'll ever tire of running out to check for eggs :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by