I think its time for a Nettiquette lesson...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Poulets De Cajun, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

E Mail Nettiquette

Beware what you write.
    Never e-mail anything that you wouldn't want to see published somewhere else. Your messages can be forwarded anywhere by anyone who gets them. Don't put confidential, personal or legally sensitive information in e-mail messages.

Think before you act.
    The immediacy of online communication begs for irrationally instant outbursts. Written notes have greater permanence than intemperate utterances. Wait a few minutes (or hours or days) before firing your missiles. If an offensive remark is made, agree to disagree. Don't flame and don't get into a flame war.

Be concise.
    Keep your email short, brief and to the point. Make sure it clearly expresses your thoughts and ideas.

Don't send chain letters.
    They're not cute or funny to everyone. Most people don't like getting junk mail, and if you're sending e-mail chain letters, you're sending junk mail. If you get one, delete it, don't forward it.

Don't Spam.
    Mail (or chat, or ICQ) messages that are sent to many people at one time as an unsolicited message is called Spam. Chain letters can be considered spam. Unsolicitated advertising is considered spam. It is universally hated and many recipients of spam think up new and unusual methods of causing physical harm to the sender.

Don't spread hoaxes.
    Never pass along warnings about Internet viruses or any other threat without first checking with the U.S. Energy Department's hoaxes page. Passing along a hoax -- especially if you copy the message to everyone you know -- is a common trap for beginners. Be the one who knows how to end the hoax instead of perpetuating it.

Do not type in all capital letters.
    It's hard to read completely capitalized messages. Writing in all capital letters LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING. If you need to emphasize a word or two, try using **asterisks like this.**

Write and type well.
    Pay attention to style, spelling, grammar, syntax and all the other rules of written communication that you were supposed to have learned in school. It does make a difference how your message is perceived. Check it before you click the send button.

Be complete.
    Writing an e-mail is not the same as talking to someone on the phone or in person. Include context and be specific. Explain things that you think might be obvious because it might not be obvious to the recipient. Take the time to re-read your message before you send it, particularly if it's business-related. Poorly written e-mails are a bad reflection on you.

Don't overuse acronyms.
    Veteran e-mailers should remember that not every user is familiar with the e-mail medium. BTW means "by the way" to those in the know, just as BRB means "be right back." The lingo isn't universal. Don't use acronyms just to be cool.

Use line breaks between paragraphs.
    This makes the message easier to read online and when it has been printed on paper.

Fill in the subject line.
    Many people who receive dozens of e-mail a day appreciate seeing something in the subject line because it helps them prioritize the e-mail and find it after it's been filed. Keep the characters in the subject line short, because many e-mail applications only display the first 20-30 characters in the subject field. If you don't fill in the subject line, many people will think that your message is either a virus or spam.

Keep replies short.
    Typically, the default setting on e-mail applications is to quote an entire e-mail message when replying. Before sending your reply, delete the irrelevant portions of the original message; just leave the portion that you are replying to. This keeps the communication short, and it takes the recipient less time to retrieve your e-mail. Put your reply at the top of the message, so the recipient doesn't have to scroll to the bottom to find it.

Send the entire URL.
    When sending a Web address (or URL), include the "http://" prefix. Without the prefix, some applications do not enable the recipient to click on the link to go to the Web page right away. They have to copy-paste your address and add an "http:" to the front end.

Sign your work.
    Signature lines (or "sig files") are useful, particularly for school and work-related communication. Long signatures (anything more than nine or 10 lines) are excessive, particularly after a one- or two-sentence e-mail.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU. CAN YOU SPEAK UP?

[​IMG]

3. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:I could tell you what I'm thinking, but then I'd get spanked... [​IMG]

4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    HeHe!

[​IMG]

5. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Ah sarcasm, ain't it fun?? BTW. I completely agree....sometimes we don't think before we write that others have to READ what we've written.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Hmmm... I prefer the phrase "snarky" over "sarcastic". Easier to spell and has an attitude of smarta**edness about it.

7. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    snark away sweatheart! [​IMG]

8. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:I prefer the finger.... [​IMG]

9. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Somebody is feeling sassy!

10. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:I feel like dog trapped in a pet carrier. The only sunshine I see is through a security monitor, people are being whiny heiny's today, and there is nothing on TV.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by