I think I've been adopted

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Tala, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

The other day one of my 2 BR pullets flew out and got killed [​IMG] I hadn't realized that their wing clip had grown back SO fast!!! They are the youngest chicks that I have (10-11ish weeks) and the only remaining broodermates.
    So tonight I lock all the pullets in the coop except one Leghorn that roosted in a tree [​IMG] and I come in to clip the wings after dark. Poor little "orphan" BR jumped on my back when I was clipping the first girl, and didn't come down until she was the only one left so I had to subject her to "the haircut"
    Then she sat in my lap and talked what I understood to be "nervously" as she looked around at everything/everyone in the coop. Finally she walked off, picked a spot to roost and only got pecked once or twice. It's her first night with the big girls and she's all alone!!

None of my chickens are really "pets" per se, they like me as the bringer of treats but they aren't lap chickens. This little girl might have adopted me though [​IMG] I guess I should think her up a name.

2. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    For a barred rock- Freckles, maybe?

I hope the flock accepts her [​IMG]

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They've been free ranging together since she was 3ish weeks old. I think she'll be OK (or I wouldn't have left her in there)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by