I think I've been starving my poor chickens....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LindsaySinai, Mar 7, 2012.

1. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    I have 2 chicken coops with 2 chickens in each. One coop has a small feeder and I give them food daily. They scratch out all the good stuff and leave feed "dust" behind that they wont touch. The other chickens have a large feeder that seems to last forever...or so I thought. They have gotten really skinny and I think whats happened is they sift through all the food and leave behind the "dust" so I would think they had plenty of food and not refill it. Basically starving them. So...Ive realized that the food I buy is crap but I don't have the money for organic. I was looking into making the food for them so it would be healthier and they wouldn't be left with a bunch of ground up dust they wont touch. My problem...where can I buy the ingredients in bulk?? Keep in mind I only have four chickens so I don't need 50lb bags of very ingredient.

2. angusshangus

angusshangus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Verona, NJ
    The organic feed isn't particularly expensive. I believe it's about $25 for a 50 lb bag. I split a 50lb bag with a friend... with 4 chickens the 25lb I get lasts a couple of months. I also supplement with vegetables and fruit, mainly the stuff i have that is a little overripe. I can't imagine making your own feed would be much cheaper.

3. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Some people mix crumbles with a bit of water to make the "dust" palatable, and chickens seem to love feed moistened. With so few chickens, could you feed manually daily, like put down a fresh cup or two of feed in a simple trough in each coop every morning? And take up any clean "dust" that's left from the day before, and mix it in moistened for the next day's feed.

4. LindsaySinai

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    That's a really good idea about adding water. Thank you!

5. Dulcimer05

Dulcimer05 New Egg

Mar 8, 2012
    Do you feed them table scraps? I raised chickens for years on potato peelings, leftover casseroles, beans, just about anything. The only thing they wouldn't eat was corn cobs and bones. We also fed them scratch feed, laying mash, oyster shells and grass/worms as they were available in summer. good luck.

6. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    If your chickens are thin they also might be wormy and need a parasite treatment. I like valbazen and it is expensive but lasts a long time and I use it on my dogs too.
    I am moving my garden closer to the chicken house so I can toss them things all summer. I don't let free range but an hour or so a day because they are too destructive to my ornamental plants.

7. LindsaySinai

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    What could give them worms and is there any other signs besides them being thin??

8. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    You could check in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures section just do a search for worms.

I do feed my chickens whole grains because I feel that whole "live" grains are better then store bought "dead" feed. I do have more chickens so I go thru it faster.
    But whole grains do have a longer shelf life if left whole. I did buy some grains in less than 50# when my chickens were little. but payed a bit more that way.

With a walk thru the grocery store you could probably find most of or all of your feed supply there.
    I am totally lucky to have a bulk amish store where they sell a lot of whole grains in 2# packages.

So between your "feed stuff" you find at the store and the fresh veggie and meat scraps...you could feed your chickens quite well.

9. Bangarang64

Bangarang64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Lake Okeechobee
    Could you post the recipe for your favorite grain mix?

10. eirwin

eirwin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    I only buy the crumbles and feed chickens scraps. In the morning I mix the crumbles and old bread with warm warmer and they eat everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by