I think I've created monsters!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epeloquin, Jun 9, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    My six girls are almost seven weeks old. I usually let them freerange for at least a few hours after dinner, sometimes more. In any event, my garden is right in front of their coop/run and they normally are more interested in my lawn/leaf piles where they scratch for hours. This week I've been doing some gardening and whenever I came across a grub I would give it to them. Well, they LOVE them. One of my girls in particular (Brucie), if I dig one up all I have to do is call her name and point at it and wherever she is she comes running full speed, feet barely touching the ground, flappingher wings like crazy to snatch it up and gulp it down (so dang funny!!). That inevitably brings the rest of them and as I am clawing at the soil with my four tine cultivator they are all in the soil I am working in, scratching around for their own grubs...and they find them too!!

It is funny, what I once detested (finding grubs) has now become a delight for me because I get such a kick out of the girls and they just love those fatty little things. Never again will I curse the grubs in my garden...I'll just call the girls! Only I'm afraid I may have created monsters!! LOL

2. blckbrnfamly

blckbrnfamly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    Southeast, Arizona
    [​IMG] that's really cute!!! My little chickidees love them too and they go wild for meal worms. My DS was feeding the turtles and spilled a container of meal worms... [​IMG] the poor boy was rushed by six squacking chickens!!!

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Lol. My girls pace back and forth along the fence whenever I'm in the garden, waiting for me to toss goodies over for them.

4. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    LOL. It is so funny, I used to hate cultivating just because I hated those infernal grubs. Now I am cultivating soil that doesn't even need it just so I CAN find some grubs for them. The things we do for our girls!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by