1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think I've decided how I'm going to dive into meat birds!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Amyh, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have been going back and forth and back and forth about how my family is going to raise our own meat. I want to do meaties eventually, but with two little kids, I am fearful of giving myself so much work on a daily basis in addition to everything else we do and also the processing. My husband may or may not help... he's such a wuss. [​IMG]

I am going to let my broodies do the work. I already have a broody raising 2 chicks and now I have another broody that I'm going to put eggs under and then just eat the roos. That way, I can practice processing on just a few birds at a time, rather than have the pressure of butchering a big number on one weekend. I think we'll do 18 eggs under my broody in the hopes that half will hatch and at least half of them will be roos.

This is the way families did it for a hundred years, so I know I can do it. Thank you to everyone for answering all my questions!! I'm sure I'll have more when I get ready to butcher the birds in a few months. [​IMG]

2. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

3. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    There's a processing plant that should be opening around the middle of September in Marion, NC. I finally got in touch with someone and they said they were going to start at 3/bird. Depending on how many you have,and where you live, this could be an option. This plant is supposed to be set up to handle rabbits, chickens, and it seems like something else. It's funded by some small farm initiative, but the complete details aren't available until they open. Hopefully soon, so I won't be butchering mine for an entire day!

4. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:There is already one in Siler City, NC that does it for $3 a bird. However, I've recently found out that they will only do 100 or more, so that counts me out. I don't have the room to raise that many at once. I wonder if this new plant will have a minimum?

5. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    you won't have a lot of work on a daily basis. just a few minutes each day feeding. you don't need to walk them or exercise them [​IMG] [​IMG]

processing will be the thing that takes time. maybe your husband can watch the kids while you do your work [​IMG] and then you can tell everyone how much of a wuss he was [​IMG]

6. KittySparkes

KittySparkes New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    Good for you. I hope I'll be able to talk the family into keeping meat birds some day. I hope you'll post more when things get going!

7. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I started into butchering by getting a free roo from craigslist. The previous owner did not mind that fact as apparently the bird had a major attitude and he didnt have the time to deal with it. Feeling no connection to the bird, and with it fighting me, it was easy to kill and process.

8. AngelaClassAct

AngelaClassAct Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Go for it! Its a fun process we just started, and we're 3 weeks in. Personally, I feel they are work. They lived inside 24/7 for the first week. After that, during the day we put them out in the tractor if it isn't going to rain, and when it is cool or wet at night, we bring them inside. We have to rotate the tractor, and make sure we keep the inside box clean. I lug water and feed out to them when they need it (daily). I also wash/disinfect their water and grain containers a couple times a week because they get pretty gross if I don't.

Our brooder set-up isn't really ideal (hot water heater box, with newspaper and shavings). We didn't have the time to build something more permanent, so this methond works for us. Next time we'll have one where the droppings go through the small chicken wire, making keeping it clean a snap. I've never processed, so I have no idea what that will be like - I'm sure that is a lot of work too. [​IMG]

We have 17 layers and 2 pigs on top of the meaties. All things combined create a lot of work. This morning I spent 35 minutes moving the meaties outside and getting them set up with water and food. Not a huge amount of time, but combined with working FT and having a 4 yo (who's a great helper) around, I don't have any downtime. [​IMG]

And lastly, when I do it again, I'm going to have more than 21, because caring for 21 or 40 would feel the same to me. But, I'm sure I'll feel differently when I have to process them all. [​IMG]

Do it, and update us! Happy farming!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by