I think I've got a rooster on my hands...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlelizzy123, Aug 24, 2014.

1. littlelizzy123

littlelizzy123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    My Coop
    So I have a flock of eight chickens in my suburban backyard. I have 2 Buff Orpington, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Light Brahman, and 2 Black Australops. They all get along famously, no picking, no bullying, no fuss. However, I'm foreseeing trouble in this aviary Eden; I think one of the Buffs is a rooster. It's a lovely chicken, not a trouble maker at all, very sweet, and always first out of the coop, giving everyone else the courage to venture forth to eat the goodies. Its twin had a very small comb, but they are about the same size. They are about 10 weeks old, out of that awkward teenage phase, and into the sophomore in college stage. They are very well behaved, they study hard, attend their classes, and don't go to keg parties. I would love to keep it, but I can't have have roosters in town. I'd rather give him away than butcher him, it is a lovely chicken. Is there any way to know if he's a rooster or not before he starts crowing? If I know now, I can start trying to get a home lined up for him. No spurs yet, but definitely a comb and some wattles. What do you all think? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    I think your right. You've got a nice BO pair.

3. Cuckoo4Cochins

Cuckoo4Cochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2014
    Virginia
    If your not allowed to have a rooster because of noise, go to the website www.mypetchicken.com they have rooster collars that prevent crowing so you can keep him (if you'd like)

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a rooster to me.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, it looks like you have a rooster.

6. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Looks like a cockerel. He's gorgeous. What a shame you have to give him up

7. littlelizzy123

littlelizzy123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    My Coop
    He is a love, and I found a home for him! He now lives out on a farm with other free range chickens ducks and turkeys. His new mom says he is getting along wonderfully. I have another one now, an Easter Egger, Don Silvio, formerly styled Silvia. He is going to a new home tomorrow. Such a shame. He is copper with silver speckles. My supposedly all pullet flock was one quarter roosters. I got 8 healthy chicks, but 25% I couldn't even keep. :( Oh well, that just means I get to add two more next year! Maybe Welsummers or Black Copper Marans! Or just give up and get Black Sexlinks so at least I know what I'm getting. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by