I think I've ruined my 14 eggs!! update!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HappyFarmLady, Jun 12, 2011.

1. HappyFarmLady

HappyFarmLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    I'm using an ancient incubator and hv been turning the dial the wrong way. Of course I didn't figure this out until 4:30 this morning when the temp was 110 (was 103 last night and I thought I turned it down). So....of course....I overreacted! Came home from work tonight and the temp was 90. Will go ahead and put them in lockdown tonight, but not expecting a hatch! Really want to buy an incubator with a set temp!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Aww sorry to hear that. I wouldn't give up hope though, seen people on here tell stories of pretty crazy temp swings and still have chicks hatch.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Here I am!!! The voice of HOPE!!!! Temp and humidity fluctuations that you can fix pretty quickly, affect the hatch MUCH less at the very beginning and toward the end. You are probably fine!

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Another ray of hope here. [​IMG] I've had a temp of 110 and did hatch some chicks. It could have been like that all night I didn't know but I got 50% hatch and that was my first time.

5. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Well, it sure is nice to have people who can give hope to those who need it. I am getting ready to do my first ever incubation and I'll probably be worrying myself silly. Glad to know you all are around to possibly keep me from flipping out! [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good luck... [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Question, why is a chicken free on Sunday?

I hope your hatch goes great.

HappyFarmLady, please let us know how you make out. [​IMG]

8. HappyFarmLady

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    I put them in lockdown yesterday. Temps stable around 100. Anxiously waiting!! Thanks for all of the positive thoughts!

9. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Quote:Question, why is a chicken free on Sunday?

I hope your hatch goes great.

HappyFarmLady, please let us know how you make out. [​IMG]

Good question! I get asked all the time. [​IMG] It is because many people would/will not do any killing on Sunday. So if a chicken makes it to that day- he is free! But just for the day. [​IMG]

But I'm free as a chicken on Sunday everyday. I don't let nothing bother me too much and I have it made in the shade! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  10. HappyFarmLady

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    I just went down to check the water in the bator and heard a cheep cheep!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by