I think Mama wants out!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nuttyredhead, Mar 14, 2011.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Ugh....the babies are 4 weeks old. I was cleaning and changing the water today and I let Mama out to get some scratch....i had to put her back in and she was not happy with me. When i opened up the cage to put the waterer in, she tried to run out...

I think they are too young to be left alone. Any thoughts?

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    if she loses interest, aren't you able to care for the chicks? they'd be okay with out her if you were able to take care of them.

3. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I do not have heat in the coop, and wont use a heat lamp. Im not sure if they are still sleeping under her. They are almost fully feathered, Im going to have to spy on then to see where they are sleeping lol!!!!

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    When my Mama was done, she was done. She started laying eggs and was getting annoyed with the babies. That told me that they were ok without her and I put her back in the coop. The babies are still in the basement, but now with younger chicks that had no momma and need a heat lamp. The older chicks don't need it anymore, but they're spoiled and still lpve to sprawl out under the lamp. They might be ready, but im going to wait another week or two to put them out for good.

5. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I checked tonight when i was out in the coop, she is still letting them sleep under her. I take that as a good sign! If she can hang in there another week or 2 i think they will be fine!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She could leave them for a while, to go out and see the world. Personally, I don't seperate my broody from the flock, so everyone learns to leave momma and babies alone and momma isn't isolated with babies. Maybe it's my post-partum depression empathy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by