I think might be egg bound but not sure/help please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by toetoe, Jul 20, 2011.

1. toetoe

toetoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    1) What type of bird , age and weight-- Bared Rock, 1 year, around 2-3 pounds

2) What is the behavior, exactly-- stays to herself most of the time, walks around very slowly, stopped laying eggs, lost weight, sleeps a lot, goes to bed sooner then the rest of the flock.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms--8 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms--No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma--No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation-- 10 days ago a predator got in my coop stole 6 chicks and 2 hens, 10 days ago I cleaned out hen house top to bottom, found this hen scratching in new clean straw and wood shavings. I took her out to feed with the rest of flock (I had just put their evening feed out) she ran back into hen house to continue to scratch in wood chips and straw.
    9 days ago found poop but and found it was egg on her feathers.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all-- Yes eat very little soft treats very little scratch will not eat pellet and drinks.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc--green and white, runny, clear jelly looking center.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far--Cleaned poop but, cleaned out what I could get from opening of vent, Valsoline vent outside and inside lip. Checked crop, not hard, not full.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet-- I would prefer to treat myself.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use- wood chips and straw mix on floor, hay in nest boxes.

12 days ago her egg was very large, thin shell, I put more calcium out, 11 days ago her egg was still thin but a large calcium buildup on one end, 10 days ago her egg was mucky yolk surrounded by thin skin shell surrounded by egg white and then again surrounded by thin skin shell.

* Dose anyone have any idea of what is happening to her or what I can do?

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Have you felt inside the vent to see if you could feel an egg?

3. toetoe

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    No, I was not sure how far to go in on fear of hurting or damaging her.

4. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If you have long nails, put on a rubber glove. You can go pretty far into the vent, just do it gently. If you can feel an egg, then I would put her in a warm bath and massage her behind for a good 30 minutes. Then put some mineral oil inside her vent and put her in a dark cool closet.

5. toetoe

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    I will go out and check right now.

6. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Also, an eggbound hen will show signs of distress. Panting, excessive sitting...............

7. toetoe

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    did ot feel a egg but when I removed my finger it was followed by a gooey light yellow discharge.

8. toetoe

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    no panting, very stuck together feathers, skin under vent ver very red. I have her in my arms right now

9. toetoe

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    eyes are clear,

10. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Sounds like an egg may have broken inside of her. You'll have to watch her close and make sure she doesn't get an infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by