I Think Mites Just Killed My Hen!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EmmyGirl, Feb 6, 2011.

1. EmmyGirl

EmmyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    Skippack, PA
    We have 4 little SexLink girls who are almost 2. This morning all the girls were fine, everyone happy and eating when I went out to feed and clean the coop. At dinner time tonight, Doris was flat out on her side on the floor in the middle of the coop with the other 3 girls staring down at her. Brought her in to see what was wrong, no blood or broken bones anywhere but she kept closing her eyes and was having a hard time holding up her head. When I got her situated on a towel in our pet cage, I noticed she was COVERED in tiny crawling specks half the size of pepper. I immediately dusted her with DE to try to get some of them off her which wasn't helping fast enough, then took her upstairs and gave her a warm soak in diluted flea dip which did seem to take care of most of them. I thought we were winning the battle, she seemed comfortable while I was cradling her and blowdrying her. She then stretched her neck out, opened her mouth and poof--died in my arms. Ran outside and took out all the bedding and dumped a bunch of food-grade DE on the coop floor to try to get us through til morning when I can do a complete clean out. Does anyone have recommendations on what to buy? Permethrin? I can't imagine how horrible my little Doris felt with all of those mites on her and dont want any of my remaining girls to go through this. How could this have happened in just a few hours? She never showed any signs of distress before this afternoon.

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Wow, that's a major mite issue, I'd say give your other girls a bath as soon as you can, the DE should help too. Good luck!

3. abChicken

abChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Gaston County N.C.
    seven dust works wonders for mites at least did for me [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Seven dust the WHOLE area & chickens, Repeat in 2 weeks. Keep a closer eye out for them. [​IMG]

5. EmmyGirl

Aug 2, 2008
    Skippack, PA
    Thanks, Allie. Always feared I'd lose one to hawks or foxes, not mites!!!
    Thanks, abChicken. I'll head to Agway first thing in the morning for it.

6. EmmyGirl

Aug 2, 2008
    Skippack, PA
    Thanks, Sir. How often would you recommend doing this as routine maintenance?

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Check their vent & under feathers every month. It doesn't take long for an infestation. Dust GOOD a couple of times & that should clear them out. Check them, but don't dust, until they need it. I also suggest worming at the start of spring, & end of summer. Good luck! [​IMG]

8. EmmyGirl

Aug 2, 2008
    Skippack, PA
    Great advice, thank you !!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x2

10. EmmyGirl