1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my 2 year old chicken is dying... help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Doozer, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Doozer

Doozer New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    My hen has not eaten in three days, she's lethargic and can not get up on the roost at night. I am very concerned that she may not make it thrue another day if she does not eat anything. I have offered her meal worms (her favorite treat) and she just looks at them. She has been standing in one spot all day completely vacant.. Also her comb is laying down and turning slightly purple. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If she has not eaten anything then you have two choices tube feed her or let her die. Has she been drinking? She will be dehydrated. Check her crop,does she have an impacted crop? What are all symptoms? How many chickens do you have, any new flock members? Bring her inside,give her some electrolytes and vitamins immediately.

3. Doozer

Doozer New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    I do not have any new chickens, there are only three in the flock. Last night I took her inside and pulled a soft egg shell from her vent. She then ate a little bit of egg yolk and had some water. This morning she is still lethargic. Her crop seems to be pretty normal. I am concerned that she may have more eggs backed up in her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by