I think my 5 year old may have killed them........

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by johnj16, Mar 22, 2011.

1. johnj16

johnj16 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    Utah
    I am so mad right now that I had to just walk out of the house for a bit. We are on day 2 of lockdown. We had 13 eggs set and five had pipped. My five year old decided that knob on the bater looked pretty fun to turn so while we were not in the room she turned it. My wife called me to ask if a temp of 113 was too high. I went into vapor lock, hurried home and now have the temp back where it should be. Most of the eggs are still wiggling, but I am worried that the extreme temp and humidity change may have killed them. I can see some of them still working at their pips. Since they are still pipping am I out of the woods?

I love my little girl, but it's best I go for a drive for a bit.

JJ

2. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    They have a chance to hatch. Just keep a watch and see what happens.
    Chirs

3. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Wow it sounds like they didn't take the brunt of the heat. If they are still going. [​IMG] [​IMG] for a great hatch

4. johnj16

Feb 19, 2011
    Utah
    ****UPDATE****

ONE JUST HATCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a gorgeous little Rhode Island Red!! We are so excited. I hope the rest continue to progress.

Awesome, simply awesome. I am not as mad at my little one anymore. The little girls were able to watch it hatch. What a great family experience.

JJ

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Ahhhh....I remember having to take those drives. [​IMG]
    It sounds like they might just be ok. [​IMG] Congratulations on your new chicky. [​IMG]

6. johnj16

Feb 19, 2011
    Utah
    Well I guess I got worked up over nothing (as usual)... Anyway, as of this afternoon I have 6 new Rhode Island Reds hatched and at least two more with pretty solid pips. I was able to video one of them hatch. I am working on putting it in youtube and if successful i will put the link on a reply to this post.

As a side note, I think my five year old is more glad than me, she is in love with her little peepers.

JJ

7. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    YAY!!!!!! Congrats!
    [​IMG]
    Personally...I still go on those drives and my 2 boys are teenagers......

8. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Glad to read that you are having a happy ending and of course, our family especially the children are more important than all the baby chicks in the world. God bless you and your family and your baby chicks...Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by