I think my "babies" are almost done with being baby chicks -pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lorain's fids, Aug 1, 2011.

1. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    This week my 6 girls will be 5 weeks old. They are growing and changing so fast. A little to fast if you ask me, I wish they would've stayed baby chicks for a little while longer. This morning when I went to get them( still residing in my laundry room at night) to take them outside to their daytime area-( I can't wait till the coop and run are done) I seen that almost all of their baby down is gone-(every morning I find it all over my laundry room floor). In the pics you can see only a little more down left to come out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Krissy12052

Krissy12052 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    NH
    Aww!! They're cute!! What type are they?

3. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Cute! They look like Dominiques. Right? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  4. LadyBantam

LadyBantam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    My babies are being born (hatched) today. I can't wait!

5. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Your birds are cute! Blessings! Blessings! Blessings!

Mine chicks are being shipped out today from Meyer Hatchery! I'm so excited!!! [​IMG]

P.S. Hope DH starts building my coop soon! The $400 for the permit set us back and now we have to come up with another $200 for cement and form tubes.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  6. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Dominiques are sitting on the roost. I have six chicks, all were suppose to be Dominiques, but 1 turned out to be a Australorp and out of the 5 Dominiques 1 is looking a little different than the other 4,( she isn't in any of these pics.) I need to get a picture of the "different looking Dominique" along with the other 4, maybe then someone could tell me what she is.

7. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Good luck with your new babies--Happy Happy Hatch Day to them-[​IMG]

8. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Your husband better start that coop NOW!!! My husband thought he had lots of time for coop building--LOL!!! He didn't realize just how fast the chicks grew. And these past few weekends when he did have time to work on it, it has been HOT out, which slows the work production being done. LOL!!! So right now they reside in my laundry room at night in a large dog crate, and thankfully I have a large rabbit hutch that they use during the day and when I'm outside I put them in a little pen that I made out of lattice for them to roam around in, I cover the top with chicken wire so they can't fly out.

9. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    lorain's fids :

Your husband better start that coop NOW!!! My husband thought he had lots of time for coop building--LOL!!! He didn't realize just how fast the chicks grew. And these past few weekends when he did have time to work on it, it has been HOT out, which slows the work production being done. LOL!!! So right now they reside in my laundry room at night in a large dog crate, and thankfully I have a large rabbit hutch that they use during the day and when I'm outside I put them in a little pen that I made out of lattice for them to roam around in, I cover the top with chicken wire so they can't fly out.

I have a similar predicament--mine are going on 3 weeks and I underestimated the size of the brooder (they are so active!!). I have a temporary hutch and run ready for them outside, but I'm so anxious about putting them out there (I'll probably do the same thing and bring them back inside the garage at night).
    My coop isn't due to arrive for another 3-4 weeks. I knew better than to rely on MY husband to have it built [​IMG] but it turns out that chicken coops are such a popular thing, there is a waiting period of up to 6 weeks to have the builder come out.​

10. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Had I known it was going to take so long, I would've had him start it in April or May

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by