I think my baby chick sneezes is it normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NJfarmer, Jul 31, 2007.

1. NJfarmer

NJfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    New Jersey and Maine
    When I hold my chick it sounds like it sneezes sometimes, then the chick wipes its beak on my hand. Does the chick have a cold?

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    idk. out of my chicks in the past they sneezed and my chick now - they sneeze. i hope nothings wrong with it but they sneezed.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Generally, chicks that sneeze regularly got chilled at one point in time early in life. Generally they will be just fine. I found that when ever I got chicks from the feed store, they always did do some sneezing, while my self hatched birds didn't.

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    My first thought is perfume. You stated it happens when you hold the chick. If there is any fragrance associated with you, clothes, hand creams whatever else there might be the peep can be reacting to the smell.

5. NJfarmer

NJfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    New Jersey and Maine
    Quote:no perfume or creams or any fragrances

6. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I have had many chicks that sneezed in the past. And they all lived a long happy life. I dont know why they snezze though.[​IMG]

7. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    All my chickens sneeze from time to time...I always just figured they got something up their nosies....

8. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Hearing this is a relief to me! [​IMG]
    I have a cuckoo Marans chick who has been sneezing off and on for the past few weeks. Otherwise perfectly normal--no lethargy, no discharge or anything like that.
    Her peeps are a little hoarser than the other chicks', but since she's acting normally and it's not spread to the other chicks, I guess there's no cause for alarm.

9. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    when I first got my chickens they sneezed alot til someone (BYCer don't remember who now) told me it was probably the dusty crumbles I was buying when changed to a less dusty brand it really slowed down , then to pellets and it stopped completely. Maybe its that??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by