I think my beloved silkie pullet is a cockerel. Do you agree?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ThePinkLadies, Dec 19, 2016.

1. ThePinkLadies

ThePinkLadies New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Hi Chicken People! I'm a new chicken owner. We have 3 chickens in a residential area and they are just over 5 months old now. My black silkie, that I love more than anything, made a funny noise this morning. It didn't sound like your typical crow, but he/she did do it twice, first thing in the morning. I have been praying that she is female, and her lack of streamers and pointy feathers seemed to be confirming my hopes. But she does have a large walnut comb and wattle. She is standing tall in this photo, but not always. She's a bit shy and has never done any of the cockerel behaviors that I have read about, but he/she's only 5 months old. Please take a look at my photo and let me know what you think. If my beloved Frenchie is definitely a cockerel, then I must find him a new home. I'll be heartbroken. [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. ThePinkLadies

ThePinkLadies New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    [​IMG]

Another photo of Frenchie

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Here is a picture of a black Silkie rooster:
    [​IMG]
    And a hen:
    [​IMG]

I really can't tell what gender your Silkie is, but I'm leaning towards cockerel [​IMG] Some other folks are sure to come along soon, and give you a for sure answer, I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. ThePinkLadies

ThePinkLadies New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Thank you for responding. Most of the photos I find of silkie hens are the bearded variety. She's non-bearded and her wattles make her look more Roo-ish. I'm hoping she's one of those dominant hens in an all female flock that just kinda acts Roo-ish. Fingers crossed!

5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Here is a pic of my Silkie hen:
    [​IMG]
    My hen is full grown, and she barely has any wattles, much less a big comb. And her tail feathers aren't as "stringy" I guess you could say, like your Silkie. I think you should wait a month or two, and if it is a hen she should start laying. And if its a cockerel, he should start crowing.

1 person likes this.
  6. ThePinkLadies

ThePinkLadies New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    [​IMG]

The more I hear and read, the more convinced I am that she is a he. I was just hoping I was wrong. Here's a closer pic of his face. [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If "she" is a "he", will you be able to keep him? That would be rough to get attached then have to give him up. Give it a bit more time as RodNTN suggested, then you should have your answer.

1 person likes this.
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under ThePinkLadies [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, I am leaning towards cockerel for Frenchie but please do not make any decisions until you know for sure.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can post your photos at "what breed or gender is this," to get more opinions - several experts post on that site Junebuggena, Queen Misha, donrae, Lady of MC, Gray Farms, etc.

1 person likes this.
  10. ThePinkLadies

ThePinkLadies New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Good morning, fellow chicken lovers! [​IMG]My lovely Miss Frenchie belted out 5 loud and proud crows this morning, announcing to the would that he shall now be known as Mr. French! Thank you all for your helpful feedback. Looks like I must post my beloved silkie on Craigslist today, in hopes of finding my friend a new forever home.
    A silkie breeder I reached out to gave me this tip:
    "If you want to ensure his safety, just LIE! When people call to ask about your bird, tell them that he is for pet or breeding only &
    can't be eaten because you use a worming medication that stays in the body for a full year
    & anyone/anything eating him will get deathly ill & could even die."
    I thought this was BRILLIANT! I want to find Mr. French a nice farm or backyard, not a soup pot!
    Wish us luck![​IMG] Thanks BYC! I'll be back [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by