1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my best Silkie is dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by racuda, Jun 23, 2011.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    She is 8 months old and she has always be less active than the rest. I thought it might be because she couldn't see very well because of her crest. A couple of months ago I plucked some feathers around her eyes so she could see better, but it didn't make her more active.

The past few days I've found her in the coop a lot, just standing facing the wall, while the others were out in the run, doing chicken things.

Today she seemed especially lethargic. I took her out of the coop and placed her in the run with the others. I put a handful of candy (scratch) in front of her. She did peck at it, so that was encouraging.

I just now at 9:30 PM went to check on her and she was still in the run in exactly the same spot where I left her about 3 hours earlier. All of the other Silkies had long gone to roost.

She really is nice and I would hate to loose her. Any ideas?

Here she was in better days:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Has she been laying? when was the last time? Could be something genetic going on since she has always been slower than your others.

3. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I had her in a breeding pen with just her and a rooster for 6 weeks and she never laid an egg so I returned them to the coop. As far as I know she has never laid.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:which makes me wonder if there is an under lying problem going on here. By 8 months it could be coming out more than before. Possibly something she was born with? only way to know for sure would be a vet who knows poultry, or maybe try vitamins and see if that gives her a boost. poultry vitamins. since she hasn't laid yet though I am thinking this is something internal, maybe genetic? sorry just guesses, but maybe giving you something to check into.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by