I think my bo's hate me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beach livin', Nov 28, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    becuase they refuse to lay me eggs. i feed them and give them a nice home to live in. and what do i get in return??? nothing. my bo girls are 25wks

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    LOL. Those girls are just too young. BO take longer than most to start laying. Wait till around 30 weeks before getting too impatient.

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I have ten hens, two of which are BOs. Buffy was the very last to lay. It's worth it! They're my lovey-doveiest girls, and I'm thinking of going Orp all the way as time goes on!

4. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    beach livin' :

becuase they refuse to lay me eggs. i feed them and give them a nice home to live in. and what do i get in return??? nothing. my bo girls are 25wks

Our BO's started laying at exactly 26 weeks, so you are not far off. They started laying around Oct 5.

Between the 2 brahmas and 3 BO's over the past four days, they pushed out 12 great eggs. That's way more than I anticipated. Of the two breeds the BO's
    win, very consistant.

Be patient, you are close.​

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If your's do the same as mine, you will be able to shoot marbles with what you get when the laying. I am really dissapointed. I have folks wanting eggs and all I get from the largest chickens I have are midget eggs. I'm disgusted.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My BO hates me as well. She's around the same age, and is terrified of me. I know that's not why she isn't laying eggs though [​IMG] She's just not ready.

BO's are notorious for taking forever to lay eggs. Just be patient! [​IMG]

7. aoxa

Quote:What do you expect? BO's are not known for their laying abilities.. you should have done your research prior to obtaining them.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Really? My hatchery BO lay large and x-large. One even lays a Jumbo. And my Black orp's first egg was a large and she's been laying a large egg every day since.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    galanie......I can only wish.

aoxa........I did the research and the BO's were presented a good layer. That's what I went on. The gentleman I bought them from had these three and I was very excited because of what I had read. Of the 7 pullets I bought, these three were the last to lay, which I expected, and continue to be the smallest eggs I've get. I sell the others and keeps these for our use. The Wyandotte and Sexlinks are laying as I figured they would. The EE I thought was a RIR so the green egg was a supprise for sure. Plus the size is quite good. When these BO's are done they will be the last. I'll try BR and Marans next. I plan to increase to 12 hens and Bob, the GLW rooster.

10. aoxa

Quote:My BR lays the smallest eggs. If you want big eggs ever day, you should get a production red.

How long have they been laying? I've read a lot about them and have heard they lay medium to large eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by