I think my BSL finally laid....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethieofVA, Sep 9, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    an egg, not in the nest box, but in the middle of the run. Walking back from taking my son the bus stop, I hear the one of the birds clucking loudly. I went and look and sure enough it was my Daisy. There in the middle of the run, was an egg. Now she knows better or at least I would think so, she accompainies the other laying ladies into the coop when they drop ship. The egg is a light brown in color and ROUGH like sandpaper. I am thinking it is her for sure. You think it could have HIT her and she couldn't make it to the next box in time?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sometimes they get surprised by the first egg coming. Like they're not sure what's happening. I've had a few eggs in the run, but they get the hang of it within a week and they lay in the boxes.

3. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Quote:Oh, I hope so. I have been caught off guard, ahem, a few times myself when I am not sure what's happening! LOL!![​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My 5 year old Black Star sometimes doesnt make it to the nest box in time and has layed her egg in the pen or on the floor of their house. Ya gotta lay...ya gotta lay lolol!!

5. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    This is all good to know. I hope she figures it out. LOL! What is weird, is that later today I went down and there was my usual egg from one of my RIR with a plop of looked like egg white lying a little ways away, but in the same box. I wonder if that anything to do with the Daisy, the BSL. Who knows? Oh well...

6. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Congrats. Don't you just love those BSL. I had 4 Michelle, Oprah, Ella and Rosa. I sold Rosa plus 3 other breed to a cute little family that wanted to start their own flock. (I only sell to fam's with kids... for the farming experience!) We miss Rosa but know she has a great new family.
    My BSL sure chatter a lot, but are very friendly...
    You might try a fake egg in the nest, I've got wooden from the craft store and a few golf balls. Some even try plastic Easter eggs with success. And with my original flock... I walked them up the ramp to the nests. Sat them down on the fake egg, then had the ol' egg in the nest talk.

7. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Quote:Oh she knows because she is the one accompanying the other two layers when they go in the coop. She is also the one singing the song. I just think it might have caught her off guard. LOL! I have an egg in one of the boxes for months.

8. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Yep, she did it. I have gotten two more eggs today, so that makes three out of four birds. My last BSL is so SLOOOOOOW maturing. I think she is weeks away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by