I think my Buff Orpington might have gape worm

Maureen Gomez

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
I have a Buff Orpington hen who is just shy of one year. She has always been super healthy, until the last 2 weeks. Her egg laying basically dried up completely, and she has lost a ton of weight. Her crest and wattle were ashen color instead of bright red. She has been plagued by yellowish diarrhea as well. She looks like she is panting at times. I have been treating her for Coccidiosis with Sulmet's since Monday afternoon. She has no appetite and I must force both food and water via syringe. How long does it take to treat coccidiosis? When do you normally see improvement? She also does this facial shake like she is trying to get something out of her head. Could this indicate gape worm? How do you treat this? Can I treat her for worms while on Sulmet, or should I discontinue it? Please help!

Maureen

Apple cider vinegar is a lovely idea, but it won't kill any internal parasites. Not one.

Gapeworm infests the lungs and trachea. Birds with gapeworm stretch out their necks and gasp for air. This doesn't sound like your bird, but if you think it is, then Ivermectin will kill them.

The only thing I know of that can cause head shaking and diarrhea is laryngotracheitis.

Quote:
Here's the info from the Merck on the disease and treatment:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206700.htm

Also, I know you don't want to hear this... but it's probably time to cull that hen. Keeping her around is putting your entire flock at risk.
hide.gif

Agree with WalkingOnSunshine, I think I'd be suspecting a respiratory bug with this bird. Gape worm is actually fairly UNcommon. It does occur but it's just not that common.

That said, I have no idea what really could be going on with your hen, there are quite a few possibilities. She could have internal parasites, some kind of bacterial infection, a respiratory disease, or something else going on internally. Have they been on a regular deworming schedule? Have you checked her closely for lice/mites?

If by chance she did have coccidiosis Sulmet may not solve the problem. It only treats 2 strains of cocci, there are 9. So in that instance I would suggest Corid instead. With Corid you generally see improvement within a day or so. Unless it has progressed to far to save the bird.

As far as ACV....yes it's good for them but it's not going to solve any of these problems, not parasites and not any disease process.

Thank you so much for all of your sage advice. She does not seem to be in respiratory distress in the least. She is not gasping nor sneezing. She only occasionally pants, and has this nervous tic like she is trying to get something out of her head. I have been over her feathers with a fine tooth comb and she has no mites or anything crawling on her skin.

Regarding the medication that treats the other strains of coccidiosis, may I give that to her now, or would it be too toxic following on the heels of the Sulmet solution? I have her living inside with me, segregated from the rest of the flock. Everyone else seems healthy and a-symptomatic.

I know that there are many types of worms. Is there one dewormer that can take care of all of them. She has no worms present in her stool, none at least that are visible with the naked eye. But I understand that there are many different types that latch on in different parts of the gut.

Would antibiotics help her as well?

Maureen

Valbazen is an excellent wormer, I use that in rotation with Safeguard liquid goat dewomer.

You can start her on Corid if you want to try that. Not toxic at all. It's a thiamin blocker which cocci need to thrive so it basically starves out the cocci.

I wouldn't hit her with all these things at once but one at a time and see how she does. I don't know if she would benefit from antibiotic's or not. If you think you may loose her then it can't hurt to try.

Thanks so much for the tip. Where can you buy corid? I live in Westchester County, New York, and there are few and far between places to go for poultry meds. I should probably just order it on line. As far as losing her....it is not going to be for the lack of trying. I love her to death. She is the sweetest girl I have!

M

Tractor Supply or most any good feed store that carries cattle supplies. It is labled for calves. Comes in liquid or powder. A lot of places will also stock the 9.6% liquid in their poultry section. The dose for the powder is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon water for 5 to 7 days, make it up fresh every day. I don't recall the dose for the liquid but a quick search of this forum should turn up that info. I use the powder just because that's what's easily available to me.

Back
Top Bottom