i think my chick got a spider bite...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gumbii, May 26, 2011.

1. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i got some shamo chicks at the last BYC meet.... they're way too big for my brooder, so i put them outside on a small triangle tractor... i placed it over a nice new patch of grass, and threw the chicks out there... they've been out there for two days now...

anyways, i went to go throw my chickens a tuna subway sandwich that i didn't finish... LOL... but i noticed some of the chicks in there had blood on their beaks and feathers... this one had blood all over it's legs... so i took him out, washed her (hope it's her) outside with the hose and a new sponge i have... i noticed it looked like a pimple of some sort with a bit of black red on one side... i think that was like a vein or something...

i took her in my hand, and walked her to my neighbor's house for a second opinion.. i thought it was an ingrown feather... HAHAHHA>.. newb... but since they don't have feathers on their keel bone, i dunno... he said that it looked like a spider bite, and i should squeeze it out... sigh... exactly what i didn't want to do... so i took her home, squeezed it out, and yep... seems like a spider bite... a bunch of gross flesh was coming out... i've been bit by spiders before, and i know she was in pain, so i did it fast... went in there with tweezers as well to take out all of the nasty stuff... then i got some neosporin and put some inside and gave her a thin layer on the outside...

now my question is... is this enough...? i threw her back outside since it's getting dark, i know they'll just go right to sleep and stop messing with it... i also don't want to separate her because you know why... they start crying and stuff... i don't like doing that to my chicks...

so... again...

was that enough..? should i put more stuff on her...? should i quarantine..?

i think i'm going to throw a bunch of DE all over them and the ground to prevent flies or maggots... yuck...

thanks for reading... and no, no pics... sorry...

2. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    oh yeah...? that's cool... i'll try that as well... thanks a lot...

3. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    I would put her by herself the others might make is worse. As for helping i dont know [​IMG]

4. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:thanks for the reply...

i checked on her a bit ago... mainly because i had an epic crazy day, and i forgot about her... but she's fine... it's a little sore, but no blood, they aren't pecking her or anything... but it's still a bump... so i'm gonna give it one more day, if it still looks bad, i might have to dig it out and stitch it... well, that's what one breeder just told me... i hope it doesn't get to this... i'll keep you guys updated...

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  6. JustinR

JustinR Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2007
    Albany
    Spider Mites? Chris09, What are we drinkin this morning?

7. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:She said spider bites not mites! But it was nice of you to look that info up!

8. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:She said spider bites not mites! But it was nice of you to look that info up!

i'm a he... LOL... but it's okay... whenever there isn't a pic, or any hint of gender in the username, i always thing the poster is a she... LOL...

but yeah... spider bite... today she looks extra chipper... the swollen went down a lot... so i guess i did a good job... there isn't any info on spider bites on the forum... i searched and read all kinds of random stuff...

9. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I had a couple that I suspected got spider bitten last summer. DH had to put them out of their misery they where in so much pain they where writhing. I know we have brown recluse and I know how painful they are and the results of their bites being bitten several times. A small chick just couldn't survive such a bite.

10. Gaelio

Gaelio Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Merton, Wisconsin
    Just curious....when you said you have Sizzles, did you mean 'Frizzles'...or is Sizzles actually a breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by