1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my Chick is Blind

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by comerrick, Jun 30, 2008.

1. comerrick

comerrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    When she was first born she ran into everything and never seem to see where she was going. I thought it was newborn awkwardness. But it has been 5 days and now she keeps her eyes closed all the time. She is now getting a bit lively now that I have fed her by hand and seems ok except she keeps her eyes closed. I never saw her eat or drink, no matter how much I dunked her beak. So now looking back on these 5 days, I think she is blind. How do I take care of a blind chick? I mean is it even possible. Could she possible rely on other sences eventually? I mean she has really pirked up after hand feeding her and she seemed soooo hungery and thirsty! How often does a chick eat? Maybe it's a lost cause and I am a really busy person. BUT this is my only hatch. Sigh.
    Lov
    Liv

2. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    It might not be blind, it might just have sealed eyes. I had a chick like that and I flushed its eyes with a sterile saline solution, then gently wiped them and they opened. I still have to monitor them as they tend to water and get stuff stuck to them, but at least the chick can see to eat and drink.

3. comerrick

comerrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    She started with her eyes open when she was bumping all over things and just last night, stopped opening them. Now that I have hand fed her, she is doing better..
    Lov
    Liv

4. Repto_Banzaar

Repto_Banzaar New Egg

Jul 8, 2008
    Erm, I have the same problem. A blind chick. I really don't know what to do.. I've dipped his/her head in water but he's just not getting it. He'll drink but, he's blind, so how is he supposed to know where food and water is? How do you feed a blind chick? And is your chick still alive? Please reply, it's been three days now and I'm getting worried! ^^;

5. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I have a blind chick, here is her story.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=66183&p=1

She is now 3 weeks old, she's keeping up with the other chicks her age, she's just the size of a 2 week old. She finds the food and water without any problems. She pecks around the ground. She is a little more low key than the other 4 chicks, and sometimes gets bumped around by them. She flies occasionally (that must be scary for her), and does all the normal chicken behaviors. With the water she'll do progressively lower pecking to find the water level and not dunk her head. The 5 chicks have been out in the run (6'x4') all day, and the little blind one (Helen) has been running around with them. The only thing is that when she can't find the other chicks she cheeps loudly until she finds them.

I'm waiting to see how "normal" she can be. I am happy to make a few adjustments for her, but if she can't be with the rest of the flock, then she may have to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by