I think my chick is dying! What to do???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by anorris, May 8, 2011.

1. anorris

anorris New Egg

May 8, 2011
    I have 6 New Hampshire Red pullets, they are about 8 weeks old. I moved them a week ago from the brooder in my kitchen to their coop. I went out to feed & water this morning, and one of them was laying in the corner not moving. I thought it was already dead, so I picked it up, and it chirrped a little and moved a bit, but acted very sick. I checked for pasty butt, she looks clean. Her crop is not large at all, I wonder if she has ate anything at all last night. I checked last night, and they were all fine, so I don't know what has happened! She has no visible injuries. she looks fine, but keeps closing her eyes. I don't know what her poop looks like, since she was in with the rest, and I have just brought her in the house. Any suggestions??????
    Thanks,
    Anna

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    [​IMG] try taking a spoon of water and dipping her beak in it. Don't pour in in her beak as she could try to breathe while you are pouring water into her beak.

3. anorris

anorris New Egg

May 8, 2011
    I've got her to drink a little sugar water, but I had to force her mouth open, she would not drink on her own. I gave her just a few drops at a time, and she did swallow on her own. She won't stand, I try to stand her up and shee just falls over.

4. humboldtpeeps

humboldtpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    How is she doing? I have one going through the exact same thing- we just moved them out to their coop almost a week ago, the rest are fine. Ive tried nutri-drench (vit & elctrolytes) and yogurt and stuff but she is still failing. she got sick yesterday. I really hope yours is doing better!

5. anorris

anorris New Egg

May 8, 2011
    I had to leave for a couple hours yesterday, and I expected her to be dead when I got home, but amazingly she wasn't, she had actually perked up some! She ate some on her own, and was standing, but still not acting right. She's still holding on today, but I don't know what else to do. And if she does get better, I'm afraid to put here back in the coop with the rest.

6. humboldtpeeps

humboldtpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    That's hard. I'm glad to hear she is doing better but i totally hear ya with being worried about putting her back in... I think some vets do blood tests for some of the really serious diseases like Marek's if they do, You could get her tested to see if she had it or is a carrier now or if it was just something weird that happened. I may be wrong about their ability to test but that could be worth looking into just for peace of mind.

7. anorris

anorris New Egg

May 8, 2011
    Ok, this is the weirdest thing...I kept the sick one in the house all night, and when I went out to check on the rest the next morning, a different one was dead! The sick one is fine now. I relocated all of them and they are all fine now. It seems that everytime I put them in the coop for the night they get sick. I made a shelter in the run for them and left them there last night, instead of putting them in the coop, and they are 100% fine now. I don't get it! Is there something about the coop that's making them sick??? It just doesn't make any sense! We just built the coop last week, didn't use treated lumber, I have no clue what could be causing this!

8. Veggie4life55

Veggie4life55 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    West Virginia
    Maybe its not the coop its self but something around the coop that they are eating??? or maybe its to hot?

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  10. anorris

anorris New Egg

May 8, 2011
    They are still eating the medicated chick food, wouldn't that take care of the cocci? They all spent the night in the run again and not the coop and they are all still fine...if I went to all this trouble to build this coop and end up not being able to use it, I'm gonna be so mad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by