I think my chick is dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MNmommy, May 8, 2009.

1. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    My four week old started acting weird it is all puffed out and lethargic. don't know what to do???

2. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    I'm not sure what is going on with the little guy...But I know someone can help

3. MNmommy

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    she won't move just sits there all puffed out her feathers are out and her head pulled in.

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    More info please- how long have you had it, what do poops look like, describe brooder & temp, what are you feeding it, are the others ok, has the chick been outside on dirt, is it eating/drinking, anyone besides you handle the chick, any respiratory signs, have you checked it's crop, have you checked it's bottom to make sure it is not pasted?
    You are describing a sick chick, but it could be cold, pasted, have cocci, be dehydrates, been dropped ect.

5. MNmommy

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    we went outside today and it was running around and then I saw it just laying down and since then it hasn't moved ate or anything. I saw my 2 yo lil girl over by her so not sure if she got stepped on a little bit?? I feel just horrible

6. mypicklebird

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    2 yr olds and chicks don't mix well. But there are many possibilities for a sick chick outside besides being stepped on. More info on husbandry is needed.

7. MNmommy

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    I just took 2 chicks out they were out for 5-10 minutes and I was right by both of them and didn't see them eating anything. could a bee sting do damage??? there was a bee flying around. I really don't think my daughter did anything but all i had to do was blink and something could have happened but I am so picky about watching her

8. mypicklebird

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Quote:

9. MNmommy

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    the brooder is at 75-78 degrees everyone else is acting fine, no pasty butt, her crop is empty, haven't seen her poop since being outside. she was fine I think something must have happened outside but just don't know??? nothing is stuck in her mouth. I have had her since day one

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  10. MNmommy

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    how can you tell if they are suffering???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by