I think my chick is sick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kat3178, Mar 9, 2017.

1. kat3178

kat3178 Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    I have a chick that is 4 days old and he or she beak opens but does not chirp. The chick lays on its side and stretches it's legs out. I'm not sure what that all means but I'm concerned...

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Is this your only chick? A bit more information is needed about how you are keeping it. Sounds like it could be too hot.

3. kat3178

kat3178 Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    It's in a brooder and I have 5 other with this particular chick. The chick is eating and drinking but she doesn't chirp and lays on her side with her legs out. I.adjust the lighting last night but still no sound when the chicken tryst to chirp

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The chick could be sick, failure to thrive, or just weak. Get some Poultry Nutri-drench from the feed store. It's formulated to be absorbed without needing to go through the digestive system, so it will provide immediate effect.

After you administer one drop alongside its beak, make a weak tea out of it and put it in the water fount. It's fine for the other chicks, too. Make up fresh each day for a week or so until you see the chick recover.

But your chick may have genetic abnormalities called "failure to thrive". There isn't anything you can do if that's the problem.

5. kat3178

kat3178 Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    Do the chick is thriving now... thank u for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by