1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my chick is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sammy4u, Apr 19, 2017.

1. sammy4u

sammy4u New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    She fell into her water pan and now she can't even walk properly and shivering, i dont know what to do im so scared :(

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    warm her up as fast as possible and get her dry. The best way to dry the chick is with a hair blowdryer don't set it on the hottest setting though. You need to get the "water pan" out of there and get a conventional waterer from a feed store

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Can you wrap her in wash cloth while placing her under a heat lamp? How old is she? I would go get a chick waterer at your feed store. Water pans are dangerous to chicks. I take my pans up when I have broody hens raising chicks after watching a week old chick fall into one once. Luckily I got her out in time. Chicks are very drawn to water for the first 10 days, and will climb up on pans and lose their balance easily. Hope your chick recovers.

I think the hairdryer suggestion is better than mine.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  4. sammy4u

sammy4u New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    she's 2 weeks old and i just dried her with paper towels and put her in her cage

5. Hillaire

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    you need to warm that chick up I'm sure the down is still wet

6. sammy4u

sammy4u New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    i don't have my blowdrier right now, how else can i dry her?

7. Hillaire

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    cuddle it up in a towel hold her under the heat lamp (don't burn her) and gently rub her with the towel to get dry

8. sammy4u

sammy4u New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    I'll try it hopefully she'll get better, i bonded with her and i couldn't see her like this, my last two chicks fell ill and died recently now it's just only her.

9. Hillaire

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    you need to get her a friend or 2 to grow up with

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by