I think my chick is stuck!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazyforchicks, Jan 13, 2011.

1. crazyforchicks

crazyforchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    I have a pip that started at 10 am and it got a hole in the egg and got its beak out and now it is not moving, Is it sleeping? Its been a half hour since it moved. Help please should I help it or just leave it be and not risk wrecking the temp in the bator?

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Let it go for at least 24 hours after the first pip.. That poor little baby is working hard to get out!!! It's tired now..lol.. You can try tapping on the side of the bator to see if it moves, but I would leave it alone.

3. crazyforchicks

Sep 11, 2010
    My first pip died!!!! [​IMG]

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    [​IMG] I'm sorry!

5. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm very sorry for your loss... How is the rest of your hatch coming along? That does happen, I lost two, one with a pip, but just didn't thrive.

6. crazyforchicks

Sep 11, 2010
    I have 4 pips in progress!!!! [​IMG]

7. mountainwhisper

mountainwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Southwest Virginia
    Quote:So sorry [​IMG] really hoping the other four are doing okay [​IMG]

8. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Sorry to hear about the first one. It's so tempting to "help out" when they don't seem to be progressing, but IME things seldom go well if I interfere before 24 hours have passed. Usually what happens is the egg starts bleeding; that's really distressing!

I hope the others work out better! [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Update please.

For me, and only my opinion, I can tell if a chick is in distress after pipping. I have only had one chick and one duckling die after helping them out. The chick I helped too soon and I learned that lesson, and the duckling I helped out too late. Use your instincts.

10. chicken burger

chicken burger Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    Quote:I don't have an incubator. My eggs are all under hens. On my last hatch of 9, all hatched except for 2. both had pips and one came out before the other. the last egg was pipped and nothing was going on. on closer inspection I noticed the little membrain had dried out from the hole in the shell, so after about 2 hours, I broke the shell open where the pip had been made and tore the membrane slightly (the membrane gets very tough when it dries out). the chick immediately continued to work his way out of his shell and hatched 5 minutes later.

the chicks all hatched, 9 out of 9 and they are 2 weeks old. I was lucky I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by