I think my chick may not make it through the night... help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jrsuperfrog, Apr 25, 2017.

1. jrsuperfrog

jrsuperfrog Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2017
    South Carolina
    I have about 30 chicks in the brooder right now but one is not looking too good. It's about two weeks old, bantam, I think Cochin (maybe) and it's by far the runt in the brooder... it was a little pasty so we took it out to clean it up when we noticed it's very lethargic and wobbly. We put it's been in some water and it took a very little bit but not much. Tried a little acv in it to maybe an outage drinking; no luck. Tried sugar water but it's just not interested. Just standing there, eyes shut, wobbling around... if another chick bumps it, it just stumbles to get it's balance and just posts back up. Mover it and another brooder with more hot/cold options so it could get warmer or cooler at it's discretion. It's choosing the heat (about 95┬░ish) at two weeks old. Not sure what else to try??

2. speckled6

speckled6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2017
    Southwest WI
    Is your chick eating at all? Do you have any nutridrench on hand?
    I have a runt. She wasn't eating or drinking, the turning point for her was separating her for a night, giving her a chick stick to peck at and eat off of along with free choice dry and fermented foods and fresh water with vitamins in it (the vital pack from Meyer)
    The next morning I gave her 1/2 dropper of nutridrench and she perked up so I put her back in with the rest of the brooder and she's done well since, though she's still a runt.
    Granted this is my first batch of chicks and my chick was less than a week old when this all took place. Still, I think the nutridrench saved her and it's worth a shot.
    If there are any signs of illness (such as pasty butt as you mentioned) I'd keep her separated until you're sure she clear and won't risk getting your other chicks sick.
    I too have 30 chicks and I love them all. I hope your little runt pulls through.
    Definitely update us on how the little one fares.

3. jrsuperfrog

Apr 20, 2017
    South Carolina
    Don't have any nutridrench but mama's gonna get some in the am... we have vitamin powder and she is separated with a three other pasty butt chicks if she makes it through the night well get her some nutridrench

4. speckled6

Apr 15, 2017
    Southwest WI
    I read somewhere nutridrench is largely made of molasses...Any of that on hand you could dilute for a holdover untill the morning?
    It may worsen the pasty butt, but that's manageable.
    Just my thoughts, I hope it helps.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Molasses acts as a laxative for chickens. best Karen

6. jrsuperfrog

Apr 20, 2017
    South Carolina
    Not sure what it was but sadly it proved to be too much for her... she died during the night :-( just wish I knew what it was so I could prevent it in the future... I feel sure with the very little pasty she had, it wasn't pasty butt that killed her... wish I knew

7. speckled6

Apr 15, 2017
    Southwest WI
    I'm sorry she didn't make it.

8. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    England
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by