I think my chick might be dying.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cupman, Apr 12, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I bought this easter egger yesterday and she was happy as a clam all the way until I checked them at 8pm last night. This morning she is very sluggish, won't walk around much and only peeps when I pick her up. I put a little sugar in her water and put her back under the heat lamp. Is there anything else I should be doing? I was really wanting her to live, of the 5 EE's I have right now 4 have the same look. This one has blue in her feathers and I was looking forward to see how she turned out. Oh well, fingers crossed and any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    How old is the EE? Have you been giving her the sugar water or just hoping that she will drink? I would get some poly vi sol vitamins and give her a drop directly on her beak. Make a hard boiled egg, chop up the yolk and feed her some of that.

Is she looking dejected and poofed up? If so, she might have coccidia and need treated for that. It can kill them fast if left untreated.

3. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    She just seems lethargic. It doesn't appear she is puffed up. If I were to guess her age I would say 5 or 6 days at the very oldest. I just put the sugar water by her hoping she'd drink. I might go out and try to give her a blast of the sugar water.

Update: I went outside. When I pick her up she won't even open her eyes. I tried to give her a little sugar water but she wouldn't take it. I monitored the birds for awhile and the others don't seem to be bothering her. I put her under the heat lamp. I'll give her awhile longer to snap out of it but the outlook is grim.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    Have you seen her drink and eat ever? Meaning, was she drinking before the symptoms started?

5. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Good luck, try and get some of that water in her. Use an eyedropper...one drop at a time in the front of her beak.

6. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Thanks everyone. The chick has died. The other 13 birds seem to be full of life, perhaps this one just was not cut out for life. I was really eager to see her feathers, I knew she had the blue gene.. but I guess we'll never know. That's how it goes sometimes and I'm just glad everyone else seems to be happy and healthy.

7. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    So sorry for your loss. You might want to let whomever you got her from know that she didn't make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by