I think my chicken died today from pecking at a Toad.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Baygirl, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Baygirl

Baygirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Has anyone had a problem with your chicken dying from being around a toad?

My favorite hen died today. I am so sad and the only thing I saw near her in my barn was a toad. I read where they can be kind of toxic but I just don't know how she died. I nursed this one back from near death 5 months ago and now she is has died from who knows what.

Thanks for anyone's help, Martha

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Oh, I am sorry! [​IMG] What state do you live in? My chickens ate toads all the time, no body died from it but I live in MI.

3. Baygirl

Sep 22, 2013
    I live in Alabama. She was fine this morning and I was only gone for an hour when I found her. As I said the only thing she could have gotten in contact with was a toad.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    How old was she? There are many things that could have killed her. Unless you have serious poisonous toads where you live, I would rule it out. Can you send it for necropsy? Had she stopped laying? [​IMG]

5. Baygirl

Sep 22, 2013
    She was just a little over a year. About 4 months ago she had a soft tissue injury and I nursed her back to health. She was separated from the flock but was out with them everyday in a separate area so they couldn't beat her up. I had her in a crate at night. I had allowed her to walk around the inside of the barn on bad rainy days. I had made sure that there was nothing that she could get into.
    Just don't really understand it but I know that they are fragile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by