i think my chicken has a sinus infection

theduckman2

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 10, 2014
my chicken is sick i noticed it a day ago that it has a slight bulge at the top of the eye i can see a grayish part of the bulge in the corner of her eye i have also seen some mucus in her mouth and she has been sitting more than usual i have been giving her a anti biotic in her water just to help i have had some up and down weather which i know stresses them and lowers their immune system i will put up some pictures probably tomorrow she was okay about 4 or 5 days ago so i am not sure also my other chickens have lice i am treating them with a dust but anyone got any good tips on them two anything that helps is appreciated

Last edited:
For the first one look up wet fowl pox, it sounds like that. If the pictures match what you are dealing with I can give you the best threads for treatment. For the second one, you will have to treat any and all chickens that have contact with the infected chickens, coop, and same part of the yard as well as do complete coop clean out and retreat in 10 days. Lice will move to an untreated host.

Welcome to BYC. Swelling around the face and eyes usually means MG or coryza, and can cause sinus infection which can spread to the air sacs. Does she have a bad odor? Are you giving Duramycin10 or oxytetracycline. If you don't see improvement in 3 days, I would switch to Tylan50 injections or Tylan Soluble Powder in the water. Gallimycin can also be used. Most respiratory diseases will come back, and also cause all chickens to be carriers. Sevin dust or permethrin is very good for lice and mites, but you have to dust all chickens, then clean out all coop litter and nest boxes, remove it and take it far away. Then repeat dusting in 7 days for mites and 10 days for lice. Here is a good link to read about MG and coryza, and other diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

i looked i am pretty sure its not fowl pox because she doesn't appear to have any symptoms of it.

here are some pictures sorry about the blurry picture she doesn't really like having pictures taken but i was trying to show the spot not sure about a sinus infection anymore i think its something wrong with her inner eye lid and i have been giving her some antibiotics in her water.

I have never treated respiratory disease in my flock, but from all my reading and looking at pictures, I think that because she has mucus coming from her mouth and the conjunctivitis, she may have MG or coryza. In your one picture of the white membrane over the eye, that is the nictitating membrane which acts as protection in the eye when it is irritated.

i am pretty sure that it is not coryza or mg because she has no symptoms all she has is the irritated eye with nothing foamy or crusty around the eye and i think the mucus in her mouth stopped when i gave her the antibiotics so all it is is the irritated eye i am going to get some medicated eye drops for her and see if they help with her eye

Back
Top Bottom