I think my chicken has cramp ?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HarrysHut, Nov 25, 2013.

1. HarrysHut

HarrysHut Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    Tonight I found dusty under the coop cold when she tried to walk her left leg was curled up and she couldn't move it is his cramp ?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Marek's disease?

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure if chickens can get "cramps". My first thoughs would be that she either has a vitamin deficiency, Marek's Disease, or injured her leg. Did this just happen, or had you been noticing her having trouble walking or limping for a few days? Marek's Disease and vitamin deficiencies usually come on slowly.

4. HarrysHut

HarrysHut Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    No this has only just come on today she's also sitting wierd with her legs stretched out Shea also very tired

5. Katydid11

Katydid11 New Egg

Mar 25, 2013
    This does sound like it could be Marek's. I have Marek's in my flock and have had symptoms come on very suddenly. Some birds suddenly start walking with wings dropped and/or are unable to use their legs. It also may be possible that he sustained some type of trauma and has a fracture, tear or dislocation.

If you want to try to save her, it is important to separate her from the flock and put her in a cage or space out of the elements. It will be important to keep her dry and safe from predators. Look at and feel her legs carefully. The legs should feel the same and there should be no excess heat, swelling or instability. If it feels like there is a problem with her leg, she MUST get vet care immediately. If not, offer her food and water 4 or more times throughout the day and change her bedding regularly. Birds with Marek's will often be interested in eating and drinking, they just may need help doing it. Try moving the dish in different spots or propping her up so she can get to the food and water. Birds with Marek's may have temporary vision problems in addition to paralyzed limbs, so it is important to really encourage them to eat and make sure they can find their food & water. IF it is Marek's, many birds will recover with supportive care. If you are able to get a vet to examine and diagnose her, that would be best.

If you suspect you have Marek's in your flock you need to be careful not to spread it to other people's chickens. Don't visit other flocks without changing your boots and/or clothes if you have handled your birds while wearing them. Also, be sure to notify people of your suspicions if you ever give away chickens.

Again, it would be best to see a vet in any case, just sharing what I learned from past experience.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  6. Katydid11

Katydid11 New Egg

Mar 25, 2013
    I noticed that in another post you mentioned that this chicken "Dusty" may be having vision problems. I would be even more suspicious of Marek's. Again, it is really important to separate her from the flock and make sure she can find her food and water...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by