I THINK MY CHICKEN IS ABOUT TO DIE!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MyLoveableChick, Sep 2, 2014.

1. My chicken in I think is about to die! She just stands there and is not in her perky mood! She closes her eyes! She doesn't eat as much and I give her a warm bath, massaged her vent and her crop, but nothing is working. I also gave her some water... the thing i fear is the closing of the eyes. I am so worried![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Maybe try giving her another bath and then putting her in a quiet place to let her relax. Is she pooping at all?

3. yes she is pooping but it is a white color

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Is she having diarrhea? Why were you massaging her vent--do you think she is egg bound? Has she been wormed recently?

5. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    Mine did that when she was egg bound also. Just watery white stuff. My hen also closed her eyes and actually sat down with her tail feathers strait up. Mine didn't really want to walk and when she did it was slow. You are doing a good job. Nobody tells you when you have chickens that you will become a chicken vet. Does her vent look swollen or poofy? I have a picture of my hens vent if you wanted to see. I know weird...but I was franking out too and posted pictures up here.

6. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    Worms would be my next question.

7. She has not been wormed recently, shes about 4 years old. I thought she was egg bound, but i saw no egg. Her vent is swollen and red

8. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014

That's how my girl was. At fist I thought she was prolapsed, but it wasn't looking like the pictures. Here is an article on a hen being egg bound, you might want to glove up and go feeling around.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...site&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

9. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    If she is red and inflamed around the vent are, do a thorough inspection below the vent for lice eggs attached to the feather shaft. If the poop is white and stuck to her vent , then you might be looking at vent gleet. Either way , I'd get a stool , run a warm Epsom salt bath and sit her with her bottom in it while gently examining her abdomen . After 20-30 minutes of this , if she's got lice they will find there way on to you.

10. Well, I just got some gel and seen if she was egg bound. I am thinking about giving her a bath later. These are the things she might have, :Sour Crop or Egg Bound I will also look for lice eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by