I think my chicken is blind? ish?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bree801, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Bree801

Bree801 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    Utah
    So I got 5 baby chicks last Spring and they all have grown well and are all doing normal chicken stuff [​IMG]
    Except for one. My Wendy girl. I think she either is not all the way there in the brain or I'm thinking she may be partially blind? All my other girls will come up to me when I have treats for them they follow me around the yard, they steal each others treats but Wendy never will peck at the treats with the other girls. When I have them follow me back to the coop she always stays where she is and I have to "show" her the way back. I worry she's blind, Is there any way to find out?

[​IMG]

Here she is [​IMG]

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Shes beautiful! Hmm... maybe if you keep her on her own for an hour or two to conduct some experiments? Such as.. putting her in a penned off area so its just her and you. Sit very quietly and move your hands by her eyes to see if she flinches or reacts in any way. Maybe take a treat and quietly put it by her face, she if she takes it. If she doesnt react then she may be blind/partially sighted? Do it all silently so she doesnt respond to noise.

3. Bree801

Bree801 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    Utah
    Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I worry her eyes will get worse where she wont eat or drink because she can't see. I hope not. Thanks for the response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by