i think my chicken is doing what i thought was impossible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jkioneil, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    can there be several eggs layed a day? two? is it not 1 a day? how many of you get multple eggs from one chicken? and if you do get more than one from your ladies then do they need extra feed or suplements? besides oystershell apple cider vinegar in the water? and treats of course.

and if they get backed up will they lay more than one? we have a bird layong more than one a day and i am so confused it hought it took 26 hours for them to meake an egg. and the crazy part is that she lays almost all double yolkers! what the heck is going on?

thanks

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    duplicate post

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  3. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    come on anyone ever heard of such a thing?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It happens as an occasional thing but I've never heard of it as a regular thing.

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Shoot...I'm still working on getting ONE egg per hen...

6. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    better save that hen for a breeder. maybe her chicks will lay like that too.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    One of my silkie hens laid two eggs yesterday, one regular and one soft shelled, but that was a fluke. i only know she specifically laid those two eggs as i had her isolated in a crate as she was acting stressed. i have had Red Stars that appeared to lay more than one a day, but could not prove it. i think if they lay more than one on a regular basis it's probably not a good thing. Is your girl a new layer?

8. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I had some production reds that laid two a day, sometimes when there was just one it would be a big one, and a double yolker. I read somewhere that they are known for it but cant remember where? Mine were on layer pellets, scratch and 'free range' in their 100' electric poultry netting 'pasture' that I move every couple weeks or so.

9. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I could swear that I had two eggs in the same day from a hen. I'm glad I am not the only one!

10. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I think the very first eggs I got came in one day from my pullet. They were not there that morning when I let them out, but were when I locked them up. I have only one out of four laying until today, when my second RIR finally laid her first at 26 weeks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by