I think my chicken is sick... Help! New to chickens!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mouzekin, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Mouzekin

Mouzekin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Fayetteville
    So we got chickens a week ago Saturday. I thought it would be fairly easy to have as pets and egg layers. BOY WAS I WRONG!

So far 2 of the chickens are losing massive amounts of feathers... I had with the help of this forum determined they are molting.lets hope that is the case

The other 2 aren't losing their feathers, but are shaking their heads often. One I have been watching daily and shee seems to be doing worse today more than ever.

She sits up in the coop not moving much. Her eyes stay shut but she shakes her head often. She doesn't seem interested in eating or drinking. Wheni finally saw her oen one of her eyes when another chicken went near her, she had what looked like foamy bubbles in her eye. I'm really concerned for her and the other chickens and hope this isn't contagious! Any advice is really appreciated!

Also would you approach the seller about this? And if so how? I tried emailing twice with no reply, and after searching Craigslist by his phone number he is adamant about NO EMAILS!!!
    He never said that to me when he gave me his card. I'm awful about confrontation and on the phone is even worse.

Thanks in advance!

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    gosh, how very awful for you. that all your chickens are not doing well & some much worse than others makes me wonder if they didn't come to you with a problem to begin with.
    i really hope some with real knowledge respond to your issue & can be of help.
    best of luck.

3. NCnarrator

NCnarrator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Did you get the chickens from a hatchery? I think if I wasn't able to get hold of the seller by phone or e-mail, I'd take the clearly sick ones back to the seller and ask them about replacing the sick ones. I would definitely take someone with me (probably my long-suffering husband). I tend to avoid confrontation as well, but I don't like getting ripped off either. If it's only been a week, then I'd think he's got other sick chickens too so I doubt he'd be surprised.

We're picking up our first chickens in two weeks or so from a hatchery near Raleigh. We showed up for a tour without an appointment, and we really liked what we saw there. The owner was knowledgeable and helpful, and all of their chickens (LOTS of different breeds) looked happy and healthy. The chickens cost a fair bit more, but it's worth it knowing we'll get healthy birds. If you can't get the guy to take the birds back and replace them with healthy ones, you might want to try a hatchery.

Good Luck!

4. Mouzekin

Mar 15, 2012
    Fayetteville
    No I got it from a guy at a flockswap in my area. I. Going to call him in a bit, but I'm kinda worried he will just brush me off. Or not answer or return my call.

5. Mouzekin

Mar 15, 2012
    Fayetteville
    So i called and he basically told me tough luck all his chickens are doing fine and to try duramycine(sp) and see if that works. And that he has no idea why the RIR are loosing feathers he has never had that happen and the silchins were doing fine when he sold them and he wasn't supposed to sell them cause they were his girlfriends. Made a big deal about that. Even told me he had a degree in poultry... Basically I'm outta luck with these chickens.

So moving forward... Any help getting them all on the mend.
    I have bought BOSS for the ones who are molting and given them Greek yogurt. Going today to buy the medicine hopefully. If not first thing tomorrow.

Any other ideas or options??

6. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    It must be so upsetting to get your first chickens and immediately have such serious problems with them. I can't tell you what to do, but I can say what I would do.

It sounds like the whole flock is affected in one way or the other. I'd add ACV (apple cider vinegar) - 1 tablespoon (approx) per gallon - to their water. That's a precautionary thing. I do it for all my chickens - from the day they hatch onward. Then I would get the antibiotic that the seller recommended and administer it to the entire flock. Remove and replace all pine shavings/straw, etc, scrub all waterers and feeders. I'd also sprinkle DE (diatomaceous earth) in their food, nest boxes and coop.

I would research what the bubbles in the eyes could be - and then treat that accordingly. Spend a little time going through the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures part of the BYC forum and search for posts about similar symptoms.

Usually chickens are one of the easiest animals to keep. I'm sorry your first experience is starting off so tough. Good luck - and keep us updated.

7. Mouzekin

Mar 15, 2012
    Fayetteville
    Yeah I'm pretty upset about the whole situation. My husband has already washed his hands of it and is starting to get irritated about me having to go through so much hassle and money to try and fix these birds.

Can I get DE at the tractor supply store?

Also, heaven forbid if she ends up dying...how to I handle that? I'm so lost!

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If you are seeing bubbles in the eyes it may be a respitory illness. You will need to buy Tylan 50, it is an injectable for cattle at Tractor supply or a feed store... Or LA 200 if they don't have Tylan. You can give it in the mouth but you will need a needle and syringe to get it out of the bottle. It works faster if injected under the skin... But what ever you are comfortable with. Give 1/2 cc for 3-5 days. Note that respitory illness can be controlled but not cured, and is easily spread. Mg can cause respitory illness and feather loss etc.. I hope it is something else, but I'd treat all with the Tylan and keep them away from any other birds.

9. Mouzekin

Mar 15, 2012
    Fayetteville
    I'm going to go to tractor supply first thing tomorrow morning. Do you know if they sell syringes and needles as well? If not where can I get some?

10. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't know about the other supplies. Our TSC carries DE, though - just make sure it's food grade DE. Good luck with them - and I sure hope they get better immediately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by