I think my chicken needs a wheelchair. :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Luna_Chick66, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Luna_Chick66

Luna_Chick66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    Ok, here's my deal (if anybody can give me any sage advice I would appreciate it IMMENSLY) -

I have a 3 week old cochin chick, she is one out of 8 others that I got from MPC (hatched on 8/17/09). She has always been kinda laid back, but recently I have noticed her not being able to walk too well. She likes to sleep alot.

She has no discharge from eyes or mouth. She is eating fine, drinking fine and pooping fine. She's not itching excessively (barely at all).

Her only problem seems to be drunken walking. She pretty much stays put unless she has to move. I've been making sure she gets her food and water, too.

I went to the feed store and spoke with their chicken man there and he told me I could:
    1) put epsom salt in her drinking water to kill any internal parasites
    2) put oxytetracycline-343 in her water
    3) put electrolytes in her water

Any veterans here got any advice for me short of telling me to "cull her?" I've been reading around the forums trying to find an answer, but I am new at this and I really want to save this baby.

ETA: the other 7 chicks are just fine... no simular symptoms like this in any of the others.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I'd try the electrolytes & some poultry vitamins first to see if that helps. She may have been knocked about during shipping or may be having a hard time recovering from the stress of the trip. The good thing is you can give the above to everybody and it won't do any harm, so she doesn't need to be separated from her buddies.

3. Luna_Chick66

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    ok, but I don't think it would be stress from the shipping trip because that was 3 weeks ago.... unless I am missing something?

4. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    I'd be cautious about giving an antibiotic to a 3 week old chick. DLHUnicorn often suggests polyvisol drops (no extra iron).

5. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:I agree.....and If I don't see any improvement after about a week or so once I have started the polyvisol, I get my dh to cull. Sorry I hope things work out for your chick.

6. twzlrwho

twzlrwho Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    South VA
    Along with the polyvisol, I would give vit e. Just split the capsule and give straight into mouth allowing her to swallow on her own. Vitamin E is great for neurological symptoms. It may take a couple of days of dosing, but it should help.

Good Luck!

7. Luna_Chick66

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    ok, I'm taking notes here.

Thank you, kind people. [​IMG]

I will do one thing at a time while I try to find some polyvisol.

Any comments about the epsom salt in the water? I'd never even heard of this before.

8. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I have never heard of the epsom salt before. Epsom salt is often used as a laxative, so I think I would stay away from that.

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

No, I would not do the epsom salts. That is a "flush," for things like botulism, or toxins. It is very hard on them, like a human having their stomach pumped.

I would also give probiotics, or (plain unflavored) yogurt. If she doesn't like it (mine love it), mix some of her crumbles in with it, like a mash. I agree with the PolyViSol, 3 drops a day for a week, then every other day for a week.

I also had one like yours. She needed a "jump start!" Now, she is bigger and stronger than her hatch mates!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  10. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Sounds like a vitamin deficiency. You can get poly Vi Sol at any pharmacy or walmart. It's a liquid baby vitamin. Give one drop by mouth in the morning and one drop at night. Try this for 2 weeks. I think she will grow out of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by