I think my chicken pooped this weird thing out...

nickylou665

Songster
5 Years
Mar 26, 2017
Illinois
First time posting via phone app, so hopefully this goes ok...

2 year old Easter egger hen was looking fluffy and “off” morning, when I let them out she didn’t stampede out for food like the rest.

Second sign something was wrong is I was able to easily catch her. Took her inside and it seemed like her crop was still full, so I massaged it a bit and put her in the carrier crate, with water but no food, figuring it might be sour crop. Her dropping’s were also runny.

Had to go to work, so I left her there and when I came home she has pooped some greener/slightly more solid poop, and while her crop was less full it is still squishy. But when changing her paper towels I also found this thing:

The first photo is after I sort of pulled it apart, the first photo is how I found it. It had to have come out of her, I can’t think of any other way this would be in the crate with her. Is this an egg gone wrong? What can I do to help my Hennie?
DA0EFC75-29E8-4A74-8933-F0640CCDE21F.jpeg
AF2DCDCB-5246-4F71-8665-6C5505DFBEA2.jpeg

That is indeed an egg gone wrong. It is basically a soft shelled or shell-less egg by the looks of it.

Do you have a dish of oyster shells available to your girls at all times? Soft shelled eggs are often the result of a calcium deficiency. They can also mean larger reproductive issues are going on.

How is her posture? Penguin like at all?

How often has she been laying lately?

Last edited:
Could be egg membrane malfunction or shed tissue from intestinal or reproductive tract.
Hard to know if it's calcium issue.
Had she been laying previously to this incident?
Other birds laying OK?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Is her belly swollen(from just under vent to down between legs)?
Pics of droppings from overnight would be good to see.

I feed an all flock feed with a couple bowls of oyster shell available at all times on the side.

As far as I can tell, she last laid an egg 2 days ago. Everyone else seeems to be laying, minis one moulting bird and one broody.

Did some research last night and am convinced it’s a soft shell egg that could have broke inside her. She looks miserable again today, when I get home from work this afternoon, if she doesn’t look improved, she’s going to the vet.

Her abdomen is very soft and doesn’t feel tight nor abnormally warm. Will try and post a poo pic before I go to work.

Thank you for the overnight (for me) advice.

Back
Top Bottom