I think my chickens are too getting hot, how to keep them cool??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jeeper1540, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 7 hens and 3 pullets and they have their mouths open like they are panting and their wings are kinda open so air can go under them [i think] The adults are in the house (which has a fan) and the babies (3 mos) are outside under the ramp in the shade. the ducks are fine, as they have a pool but is there anyway to keep them cool? its not even 90 right now, but it can get to 100 sometimes, so i would like to know if you have any ideas. i though maybe a waterer outside, but they can drink from the duck pool and dont mind it. any suggestions??

2. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    You can freeze a few 2 liter bottles of water and let them cuddle with them. I have put a deep pan if ice and cold water in it and they like to walk through it and drink it.

3. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

ok i'll try that. Thanks!

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Shade and lots of cold water! I even put a fan in their coop and run but I anchor it down with tent stakes so it cant come loose and be knocked over!

5. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    A number of members have posted about using misting systems in their coops, the kind you can get at any big box store/hardware store. Supposedly they keep the temp down about 20 degrees. I saw one posted on Home Depot for $41, and I'm sure there's places even cheaper.

Correction: in their runs

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  6. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Well I went to Walmart and bought two of those $10 misting systems. You can get one for $20 that is expandable. Anywho mine are set 3 foot off the ground and run the outer perimeter of the coops. Then I have a 24 inch steel fan hangin from the roof in the corner pointing downwards towards the ground. We have a lot of birds, and when it reaches 110 or above like today they ALL sit under the misters.

Haven't lost a hen, roo, duck, turkey, goose, rabbit, or goat yet!

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Find some way to shade part of their run...tarps, wooden horses w/a sheet of plywood across them...something. When it gets into the 90s here, I empty the ice bin into their waterer for the day. I've tried the jug of frozen water several times, by mine kind of avoid them...same goes for a mister. [​IMG] You can always add a fan to the coop...I have two in mine. Good luck!

8. FlyingFChick

FlyingFChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Milford, Michigan
    I shade their run with a sheet attached to the top. Tried a tarp, but it seems to hold the heat in. I also have about 4 or 5 20oz pop bottles that I keep in the freezer. I add them to their water a few times a day when it's hot. That seems to help a bit!

I also give them cold treats from the fridge like watermelon or grapes. They LOVE frozen peas!

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Find some way to shade part of their run...tarps, wooden horses w/a sheet of plywood across them...something. When it gets into the 90s here, I empty the ice bin into their waterer for the day. I've tried the jug of frozen water several times, by mine kind of avoid them...same goes for a mister. [​IMG] You can always add a fan to the coop...I have two in mine. Good luck!

10. bufforphfan

bufforphfan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Arizona
    I use bamboo reed fencing which is usually available in the garden section of places like Home Depot. It provides shade and allows air to flow through it also. I cover the top of the run with it and the sunny side of the run also. The fencing is light weight, about 6ft tall X 15 ft long, and can be stored and reused each summer. It is 108 deg F here today. I also have a bed of slightly :cool:damp sand in the run that they like to wallow out and lay in to keep cool. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by