I think my chickens are too hot, 98 F in the shade!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CH, Jul 7, 2010.

1. CH

CH New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    My first chickens (buff orpingtons) are now 5 weeks old, and the weather has been unusually hot. Some days it's 98 in the shade and the chickens are panting heavily and sometimes drooping their wings. Their stool is also watery since they are drinking more and eating less. Of course, since it's 98 in the shade, their water is also 98 degrees, and I'm not sure if it's ok for them to be drinking such hot water. I'm a bit worried but I don't think there is much I can do, besides maybe setting up a fan somewhere, but it will only be blowing hot air anyway. Should I let them have access to a bird bath or something?

2. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    There is another thread on here from yesterday with ideas .... ice in water, fans do help, frozen watermelons etc. They will die if they can't get cool Hi temps and chickens don't mix.Get a childs wading pool put several bags ice in it. Done that and they have a ball. Just empty bags they can lie next to pool and as ice melts they will drink. Good Luck!

3. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I gave mine a sprinkler to play in... and I also took containers and froze large ice cubes and put that in their fresh water... takes longer to melt. I have heard that you can give them a fan... my one little girl asks to come in and heads straight for fan.

D

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We give our girls chilled watermelon on the very hottest of days (like today) but that's not very cost effective. What they do get every day however is fans in their coop, and frozen water bottles in their water. Chilled or frozen treats are wonderful and they just go crazy for them if you can afford it or grow your own cheaply.

5. Bacongirl27

Bacongirl27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Arizona
    I live in Arizona and I keep the dirt in the shade wet, they like to dig holes and keep cool, I put ice in their water and feed them frozen treats through out the day and that keeps them cool, I also have shallow trays of water scattered with ice packs, they do not swim but they like to put there feet in it and ....do not feed them corn...it raises their body temps because they do not metabolism well... Hope that helps

6. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    I'm a bit worried but I don't think there is much I can do, besides maybe setting up a fan somewhere, but it will only be blowing hot air anyway

Happily, there is plenty you can do.
    Hot water is very bad. Luckily, ICE CUBES have been invented. Blocks of ice last longer than regular ice cubes in case you can't be there to keep replenishing (take something like Cool Whip containers, fill with water, freeze overnight and put in bowls of water in the a.m., always ensuring more than one in case there is spillage)
    Fans are indeed cooling, hence why people buy them for people.
    Cold fruit, etc. etc.
    There are many many threads running right now here on BYC about all sorts of things that can be done to make life more tolerable for our feathered friends. But in general, think what people do when they're hot (eat and drink cold things, have fans running, seek shade, etc )- and then do those things for the birds.
    Hurry!!!
    And good for you for asking. [​IMG]
    JJ​

7. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    How do people in hot climates keep chickens? I'm at a loss... it gets up to 110 here and I don't want to have an unintentional chicken-bake. What happens if I go on vacation for a couple days? Will I come back to cooked chicks?

8. NurseDr

NurseDr Out Of The Brooder

I have a mist system that I put in the tractor, $15. We live in a dry climate, may not work where it is humid. Although have not needed to use it this year in Utah. It has not gotten as hot yet and there is shade on the tractor area, the north side of the house and a large spruce tree to the west. Also the area is grass, that is cooling and nice when it had been watered the night before.

9. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    A fan is probably the easiest to do - you don't need to be there for it to be running. Ventillation is good - just think of how good a fan feels on a hot day for you - even a folded paper fan if your stuck in a school gym or whatever ... it will help.

I put out a water dish this am that was filled with just ice cubes - I'm sure they are melted by now - but it was the best I could do until I get home from work. I think the comment about making ice blocks is probably the best idea - but you need to do that well in advance.

Be sure they have shade - hot water is better than no water if you aren't around to be able to change it during the day - just change it as often as you can.

Do what you can - to help them through.

I lost two yesterday due to the heat - and several others on here also lost some of their birds. I hope yours fare better than mine did ! I miss them ....

10. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Quote:I think in warm climates, the chickens have acclimated to the hotter temps so it's not as detrimental to them. Just like people - those who live in hot areas are more tolerable of the heat (ever see someone from Texas or Florida go to a northern state during the fall or winter ? It's kinda funny - and vice versa)

Where I am - this isn't normal for temps - so am caught off guard - and did not have the ice blocks and such ready - and don't think about the preventative measures until (unfortunately) after the fact. I guess while on vacation - you have someone checking on them for you like you would for any other pet.

I don't know - but they do seem to do just fine ....
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by