I THINK MY CHICKS ARE PLAYING THE CRYING GAME

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chellyroo, May 5, 2009.

1. chellyroo

chellyroo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    South Carolina
    Ok, if you don't know that movie the subject line won't make a lot of sense-- my 6 week old chicks haven't let me know yet if they're hens or roos. I think they know what revealing their sex means for them![​IMG] I was depending on the farmer I bought them from being able to tell me when he delivered their coop Saturday (yay! out of the garage and into the coop!), but he said they all looked like hens except maybe 3 (this is out of 10), but then his son said exactly the opposite, maybe 3 hens the rest roos. So we decided to just keep them all until we know for sure. (The dad made me very proud when he told my husband he had never seen 6 week old chicks look so healthy and good! [​IMG]) Something I have seen a couple of times in the last few days is some of them sort of "sparring" with another chick, like they're about to throw down; is that typical of either or both sexes?

2. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Both sexes will do that, they are just playing, so funny to watch huh? [​IMG]

I want to add, if you post pics there are people here who may be able to help you decide, and say why they have the opinion that they do. What kind of chicks do you have?

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Yeah, my chicks have started working on pecking order. My youngest are a week old so they haven't joined the fray yet but the other three... sometimes, I think the have a wild feather up their butts.

4. chellyroo

chellyroo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    South Carolina
    Quote:I was afraid it was a transgender thing! I thought about posting pics but I have seen so many posts asking for that kind of help and it seems each response is a different answer! [​IMG]

I have 3 Barred Rock, one Black Sex-link and one Brown Leghorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by