1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my chicks being picked o

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheTwoRoos, Jan 14, 2017.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I have four cochin chicks. All somewhere around 3 months.

One is smaller then the other 3 and it seem healthy. I noticed tons of little black feathers around the floor, and in their cage so I just assumed she was molting, but then I noticed her perching and all of a sudden, the little cockerel jumps up and starts pulling feathers from her chest.

I haven't had to ever deal with bully chicks so im clueless on whether I should or shouldn't separate her.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would separate the feather picker, asap!

Then look at why you have an aggressor....How big is cage, what feed, etc etc, you know this stuff.
    Might be he is not worthy of life.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    I looked at space.Honestly I do not think its enough,it's just a dog krate,food shouldn't be a problem.I'll look at separating for a few days then maybe,integrating again,see if status changes.

Should I put him with another pullet,one that he does not bully?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    No, I think you should provide adequate space for this quad, as that is the crux of the problem.
    But where you keep your birds may depend on your goals.....I assumed that this was a breeding quad, but maybe not.

6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    No,I figured why not give cochins a try so I took four,and so far i'm enjoying them.

I have another cage,maybe I should split them up,and when I get reazdy to put them with our older chickens jus quad them up again?

7. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    i will not be putting them with the older ones till probably beginning of feb.

8. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Defiantly keeping the cockerel away from the little black chick,he just started crowing and is acting pretty cocky.Pretty for sure that may have also given him confidence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by