I think my chicks leg is weakened.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by write2caroline, Aug 25, 2010.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Partridge Cochin, 8/2 hatch and 14 oz

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She is not walking on her feet. She scoots around. One leg more weak than the other

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    We are on day two

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    None, at first I thought it was broken but it is not. She simply will not put weight on the left side and her foot will respond to touch

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.:
    Waterer spilled in the bedding and when I took them out I found mold in the brooder under the dish I used to lift the waterer up out of the pine shavings

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Medicated crumbles and water (she was innoculated for mareks)

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Her poop is pretty normal - she had a very smelly yellow one but it is the consistancy of toothpaste

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Isolated her into a cleaned brooder, heat lamp, water

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I have no money for a vet so it is just me.

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    I don't have a picture but someone else posted a very similar issue and video and my chick is doing the same thing

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    She is in a plastic bin, she did have deep pine shaving now she is with sand

Here is what happened when I noticed the problem:

Today, I moved everyone out to the outside brooder. The girls spilled the waterer in their inside brooder and it was stinking to high heaven so it was time as they are increasingly larger and active and the outside brooder is much larger. Last few times I have checked The Partridge Cochin is always sitting but she doesn't look weak or dehydrated. When I moved them I noticed something is up. All the others are walking around and she just sat down where I placed her. When I picked her back up she was flapping her wings. I gently flopped her over and her legs seem fine but she is not putting any weight on her left leg at all.

I am going to keep a watch on her, she can easily get to the food and water and if I need to seperate her I will do it tonight and bring her back inside

Also All the other chicks are very much feathered out and only her wings are feathered - Do cochins take longer to mature? I have bantams and Marans in this batch so she is kind of in the middle as far as size goes.

Caroline

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. tamelroy

tamelroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
    [​IMG] I hope everything will be fine!

3. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I have her seperated and she is in the brooder inside alone. I have a fingertip towel in a circle so she is comfortable. I am not sure if I should try taping her leg. She can get to food and water and she moves away from where she is laying to poop. Her poop is normal. I really don't know what to do for her.
    Caroline

4. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Update:

She is peeping sometimes. Like she is upset - not sure if she is uncomfortable or lonesome. She is eating and drinking. I sat with her on my lap and she seemed at first hard for her to get comfortable and then she quieted down and slept....but my cat was very interested. Brooder is warm I keep putting her back on the nest made from the rolled hand towel.

I am going to try the polysol drops w/o iron and see if it can't help.
    Caroline

5. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Update on the Brownie Partridge Cochin:

Peeping less loudly, I think she is comfortable now, Feeding her yogurt with crushed dissolved kids vitamin. I added apple cidar vinager to her water. just waiting - Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Caroline

6. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    It was suggested to give her Baby no iron formula poly vi sol drops 3x perday....Do I give it to her straight or in her water?

Status: She is not improved as far as being able to use her legs but she seems happier and comfortable. She likes to be visited.
    Caroline

7. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    If they were innoculated for Mareks - can they still get it? I don't think it is mareks. I know there was some mold when they dumped the water dish and I saw it when I originally transferred them to the outside brooder. The others are all fine.
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by