I Think My Collie had a Seizure, HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by supdude, Jul 24, 2008.

1. supdude

supdude Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    my 11 -12 year old miniature collie growled and then got down, all his legs looked locked up he tried to stand a few times and fell then he vomited and defecated he was breathing heavy i called an emergancy vet & she said it was probably a seizure i thought so too, hes never had this before, he had kidney stones about 5 years ago. he got up and walked like he was drunk and sat down but now appears to be okay, what does this mean? will he have any permanent damage? what happened to your dogs with seizures?

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    There won't be any permanant damage...not if it was a siezure. You might want to watch and see if he has anymore though...and then you may have to either put him on meds for it or make a very difficult decision.
    I've never had a dog with seizures but I am very familiar with human epilepsy...so there may be a difference but I don't think so.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    My dog had one once... my vet said sometimes it just happens and never happens again... for her it never happened again. I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues to happen or some other problem arises.

4. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    my golden retriever had his first seizure a few months ago. he is only 3 years old. He had bloodwork to rule out thyroid disease and infection, the bloodwork was negative. Another thing to rule out is lead poisoning. many dog toys (from china) now have lead in them (isn't that awful!), also need to rule out the dog getting into chemicals (like antifreeze). in my dog's case they were unable to find anything. he has since had two more seizures, so scary to watch, but he recovers after a few minutes and has no lasting effects. They have diagnosed him with epilepsy (since all else seems negative) i have an emergency dose of valium in my fridge for him in case he has a seizure that doesn't stop.

i have opted not to start anti seizure medication at this time, since he seems to recover so nicely and there are risks to the meds as well. This was decided with my vets input.

in an older dog other possible causes are tumors [​IMG] and cushing's disease (look this one up, it has a number of symptoms). please keep us updated, I hope he's ok. Seizures are very scary things to watch. Good luck to you![​IMG]

5. supdude

supdude Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    thanks i think he may have had another because he pooed all over the kitchen and tensed up and drooled agian, he doesn't shake and spaz he just lies on the ground tensed up and drooling, he has had maybe 2 tumors on his belly when he had the kidney stones removed but vet said they were harmless, is a seizure painful??????

6. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Look and see if you can find anything that he may have torn up or eaten. I had a friend with a dog that got into chocolate once. It had several seizures but then pulled through. They did take it to the vet. If he has another or shows additional signs of illness, you should take him to the vet. He may need fluids.
    I also had a friend with a dog that ate a bottle of nose spray and got very sick, but also survived.
    ~Rebecca

7. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Hi there, and I am so sorry you had to see what you saw, and that your dog had to go through that. It was probably a seizure and I will pray that it is the only one he has. In 2002, I lost my 20 year old best friend - had him since I was in 1st grade. A few months later, I brought Sebastian home...a 6 week old German Shepherd/Husky/Rottie mix...and I met both of his parents. His dad was a robust, healthy young Husky, and his mom was a young Shepherd/Rottweiler mix with hip displaysia. I thought maybe he'd end up with bad hips, which was bad enough, but I never thought he'd have bad hips and epilepsy! He was diagnosed with epilepsy at 7 months old, and the vet suspected it was from the anesthesia used when they neutered him. He was on lots of potassium bromide, and it seemed to keep his seizures at bay pretty well. He was only having about 2 a month, and then it was like some door opened and the seizures were happening all the time. The night we took him in to put him down, he had just turned 3 and he had 5 seizures within one hour. His seizures were all out grand mal seizures. I remember how hard it was to see what was happening to him during a seizure. We had to keep him in his crate at night so he wouldn't get hurt falling down the stairs or cracking his head on the wall or something. His crate was plastic...he is buried in it now. He was 135 pounds of beauty, loyalty, perseverance, comfort and love. His short life definitely had a huge impact on us...his little family. As I am typing, I am just in tears...I had some of his fur spun into yarn before he died, thank God. It is draped over his picture in our living room.
    What you described sounds typical of a seizure...and actually mild compared to Sebastian's, but still a seizure nonetheless. After a seizure, he was blind and deaf and acted drunk for about 5 minutes each time. Don't worry about a dog choking on their tongue, but they usually end up biting it and it will bleed sometimes. Bach "Rescue Remedy" flower essence seemed to help a little to calm him if I sprayed it in his mouth during a seizure. Is there any chance your baby got into any poison? That was the first question my vet asked me when I called her during his first seizure years ago. My vet also explained that the goal is to prevent seizures and keep them at bay as best as possible, because with every new seizure, it's like a new electrical pathway is opened up for more.
    I don't know if I've been of any help, but I hope so. There is a book that was a great resource for me, and I had the pleasure of talking to the author about it one day too...it's called, "Canine Epilepsy" by Caroline Levin.
    Maybe your pooch doesn't have epilepsy, maybe it was a one time thing...a reaction to something...I have no idea, but after seeing the seizure, you might have a little post traumatic stress from it. I know I did. Every time I heard the familiar howl or thump, I would go into action...adrenaline pumping, and praying that maybe it was just one of the cats knocking something down, only to find out that most of the time, it was Sebastian at the beginning of a seizure.
    You are in my prayers and so is your little guy.

8. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My 5 year old dog started having seizures right after we moved into this house last year. He had them for three months, once every three weeks or so...then they just stopped. I still have him on phenobarbital, but I plan on taking him off if he continues to not have them. His seizures were just like your dogs, only he had them once he was sound asleep....after each grand mal, he would run around and crash into walls or fall over, it was heartbreaking..then he would drink water like crazy....after about an hour of recovery, he would be perfectly fine. There is always a potential for dogs to have a seizure no matter how healthy they are, it's just that most dogs won't have the the "trigger" released and they don't have an issue. I think with my dog it was the Frontline flea meds I was buying off the internet. I stopped using that and he hasn't had an issue since.
    I would get the bloodwork done, it's worth it to know that it wasn't caused by something else. An epileptic diagnosis is better then some of the alternatives that can be going on. It's easy to live with once the dog is medicated correctly.

Best of luck!! [​IMG]

9. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Seizures themselves aren't painful, the dog may cry out or howl during one but they're pretty out of it while seizing. Afterwards they might be sore or bruised. I think it's harder on the person watching the seizure than on the poor pooch. Is this his second seizure today? That's a bit more worrisome if that's the case. Could he have gotten into anything? Does he have any dog toys? There's a website that lists dog toys and foods with lead content in them....I'll try to find it for you and paste it. keep us posted!

I couldn't find the site that I had earlier on lead in toys, but I found a ton of other sites on the same topic. Evidently they've also found lead in the paint on dog bowls, pet crates, bird cages etc..... Wal mart just had a recall of dog toys containing lead as well. It's a long shot but I would check into it if you've recently given him a toy (or he's recently chewed one up) or if he has any new bowls or bedding.

poor boy, I hope he does well tonight!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  10. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I would go to the vet asap if that happened to my Barney, I would not want to take any chances and try to help him as much as I could.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by