I think my dates were wrong, please I need advice/opinions!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by msheets, May 14, 2010.

1. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    Ok, I put my eggs in my LG incubator on April 22nd at 7:00pm. I quit turning them 3 days before hatch date on May 11th then thought day 21 was today, May 14th. But now when I look at the calendar, today is actually day 22 & yesterday when I candled them thinking it was day 20 it was actually their 21st day. When I candled them they still hadn't absorbed all of their blood vessels/yolk so what's going on? All 38 eggs look the same & none have pipped or rocked at all, but there was movement when I candled them. My thermostat reads 100F & there's plenty of water in the trays. Please give me any advice you can, I don't know what to do & would hate to break their shells to help them when they still had yolk to absorb but it's day 22!

2. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    it can take a chick up to day 24 to hatch. you won't always see the eggs move or hear peeps before they pip. Keep the incubator closed and don't open it for any reason. Keep the humidity at 60-65%. If you need to add water pour it though a hole in the incubator. Humidity is generated by the surface space of the water not how much water you put in. You saw movement in the eggs the last time you candeled them so you know the chicks are in there. It's hard but just be patient and wait for something to happen. At the end of day 24 you can candel them again if nothing has happend and make a decision about cracking them open to see what's going on.

3. msheets

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    Thank you, maybe nothing is as wrong as I think it is. This is my 1st chicken hatch & seeing everyone else's chicks that were set April 22nd is making me paranoid lol!

4. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Just as long as you see movement dont worry. But boost your humidity to between 75% and 78% other wise they get shrink wrapped. Also if you have a still air the temp should be between 100 and 102 degrees. They are probably just late bloomers because of a little bit too low temps.

5. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    talk about wrong dates....I just got home opened the bator and surprize...Chicks.....I thought it was next week. Well that is what the schedule is showing. Took them out put in the hatcher. Now I have to check all three tray in the bator everyday so they do not get hurt.

6. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I've read a lot of notes on here about people getting worked up over not being able to maintain humidity. From day 1 through 17 My humidity ranged from 25-40%. on day 18 through lockdown I kept it at 60-65% (when they hatch it goes up into the 70%) All of my eggs that were viable when I candeled them last have hatched and there were no shrink wrapped chicks.

7. msheets

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    What exactly happens when the chicks get shrink wrapped? I didn't think about them being late bloomers due to the low temp but that makes sense because I thought the temp should be 99-100 (LG's directions) so thanks for the info & next time I'll know! What are some of the most common causes of eggs expiring in late development? The past week I've removed 3 deceased eggs & upon cracking them open the chicks were almost done forming & even covered with feathers. Thanks everyone, I wish I would have found this site sooner rather than 2 days before my eggs were due to hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by