I think my dog might be a chicken killer.... :-(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ScotH, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ScotH

ScotH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    South East Texas
    Got a wonderful notice on my door from our local 'Animal Control', someone gave a description of my dog and said he killed a few of their chickens. I thought that can't be, my dog is in the back yard right now. I went outside and looked at our fence... and sure enough darn dog broke through the gate... and I don't mean he pushed it open because it is chained shut with a master lock (because of his constant escaping). He bent that hard metal rod that holds the chain-link fencing inside the gate frame. (Blasted Dog!) [​IMG]
    I don't know these neighbors but if my dog did it, I feel terrible about it as I know many people think of their chickens as pets and the time and investment that goes into them.
    I am sooooooo ticked off at my dog and almost wished the catcher would have gotten him. [​IMG]
    On top of that I will probably have to pay a large fine or have him put down (or both). My brother will also have to work something out for his dog, because I've been housing him for a couple months and he tags along with mine.

I've had my coop build on hold for the past three months, still hoping to get my own little flock going sometime this year, but there seems to be set-backs at every turn.

2. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    As much as we hate the fact, dogs will kill chickens.Not all dogs but more than not .It's instinct for them to do it.They even wag their tails like you are just as proud as punch at them.I have a 4 pound yorkie that would kill mine if given half the chance,yet my big collie wouldn't harm a feather on them.
    I would go over and talk to your neighbor and offer to pay for the chickens IF he seen your dog do it and not just seen your dog loose and just throwing the blame.More than likely your dog did do it and it's only fair to replace the chickens.
    As for the dog I would talk to Animal control ,tell them you will pay the damages and that will keep you out of court maybe. if the dog gets out all the time you may have to find him a new home as once he start killing chickens it's almost impossible to get him to stop.Maybe get a kennel for him that has a top if you want to keep him.
    You would of thought that your neighbor would have came to you first and tried to work it out instead of going straight to the dog warden.It's a shame that they knew it was your dog which is normally in a fence and choose to ignore the fact that you at least tried be a good neigbor by doing so,not to mention it was the first time it happened.As much as I like my chickens ,I would have given my neighbor a chance to make things right as I live on the same road right along with them.My neighbor's dog killed one of my rabbits last summer and I just let it slide as he always kept his dogs up and not to mention he was also laid off at the time with three kids to feed.They have lived here 5 years with the same dog and that was the only time it has happened.
    I hope things work out for you ,and keep your dog in mind when you build your pen for your chickens.Mine has wire not only on the sides but over the top and bottom also as added protection from animals.Good luck [​IMG]
    Karen

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    All the dogs I own are chicken killers [​IMG]

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    none of the dogs I owned are chicken killers.... accidents maybe when they're a pup, but none made a career out of it...

Train your dog, some will take longer than others, but it's mostly depends on how much time and patience you want to spend on them.

What sort of activities he gets every day?

5. ScotH

ScotH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    South East Texas
    Thanks for the replies.

They are not the same kind of neighbor as someone on the same street as us, their house is very close, but there are no roads or paths to get there quickly. My dog could get there in 20 seconds or less, but it would take me around 3 minutes to drive around to their house, over 15 minutes by foot.. and I doubt I can speak with them directly as English is considered a second language here. [​IMG]

I doubt I will be able to keep him... he has been a good dog at times, but there have been too many complaints about him.

He gets lots of running (big yard) and playing with other dogs, I try to play tug or fetch with him, but he just doesn't 'play' anymore.. he has become a moody\\angry\\crazy dog...

anyway ... too much for to write for now and I am medicating myself just to cushion my feelings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by