1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my Dolly is laying her first egg! ETA She did it!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by valmoisy, Sep 22, 2011.

1. valmoisy

valmoisy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    I think my Golden Comet Dolly is trying to lay her first egg!! She's a couple of days shy of 19 weeks old, has been squatting for about a week now and has a nice red wattle & comb. This morning she won't come out of the nesting box and Popple, our Delaware, is guarding the coop and not letting any of the other girls in to bother Dolly. I can't wait to see if she lays. I think I'll have to take a break and leave work at some point this morning to go home and check on her.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. 7kids12hens

7kids12hens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    She might lay today, but my hens usually go in and out of the boxes for a couple of days before they actually lay an egg. I have 5 hens laying, but my wellsummer is ready anyday day now. The suspense is killing me. She's my only on that will lay a dark brown egg. I haven't seen her in a nest yet though. Maybe I'm more ready than she is. My fingers are crossed for you.

3. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Go Dolly! One of mine layed just shy of 19 weeks for the first time a little over a week ago. She has given me 6 eggs in 8 days. She made an awful racket before she layed, and hasn't stopped yet. I hope you get your egg today![​IMG]

4. valmoisy

valmoisy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    I just went home to check on Dolly and there in the nesting box was the most perfect little brown egg!! Yay Dolly!

5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Congrats! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Congrats!!!! So exciting to find a perfect little egg right where it should be!!! Hope you give her a delicious treat, she deserves it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by