I think my duck broke its leg, what do I do? Please Read?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducksducks, Jan 5, 2014.

1. ducksducks

ducksducks New Egg

Jan 5, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hi I think my pet duck broke its leg. It is a Khaki Campbell breed. Yesterday it was still able to walk, (barely) but now it just hops around on one leg. I put it in the pool to see how it swims, and only uses one leg to move around in the water also. I put it in its pen to rest but it kept trying to walk to the other ducks, so I carried it to them. But the other ducks are just ignoring it.
    So it can still get around by hopping on one foot, still eats, drinks, swims (If I put her in), and not that it really matters I think, it still craps I guess you could say normally.

As you can see in the pictures the bottom of the foot is a big swelling ball. It looks to me that it is broken or maybe some sort of bug bite. But I don't know, can someone please help me and tell me what to do.
    I want to put it in it's coop to rest but it won't relax cause it wants to be with the other ducks.

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Can the duck move its toes to grasp? That will tell you if its broken. I broke my leg...7 places, you can't do anything with your feet/toes. Pick up the duck, push your finger under its foot like you want it to perch on your finger. If it tries to grasp, probably not broken. May have fractured or sprained it. I would treat that like you would for a person. Ice/rest. I would keep everyone together to keep him calm.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. ducksducks

ducksducks New Egg

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks. Ya she won't grasp on. I think I might splint it. And also leave her by my dog cause she's really nice and my other ducks are ignoring her.

4. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    That looks like it could be bumblefoot. See how the pad of its foot is swollen.

5. craftiekids

craftiekids Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the bumble foot thing but not sure how to treat it. You may want to at least loosely wrap it to give it support, not tight enough to cut blood supply but you can't let him near the water. look up bumble foot online maybe it will have better ideas. Post them I'd love to know. Good luck! Let us know how he is! [​IMG]Susie Q

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There is some good information here on treating bumblefoot. I would not cut the foot, first off, though some people do. I just don't like opening it and risking more infection.

Anyway bumble foot is a fairly common infection and can be treated, but you need to get on it and stay on it till it is done.

I will get a link for you. Hang on.

Here. Try this - several members have and it seems to work well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/807777/bumblefoot-new-ideas-on-treatment-with-pictures

And please let us know how you are both doing and what questions you have.

Is the leg warmer than the other one? If so, an oral antibiotic is a good idea. I do not like to use antibiotics unless they are necessary. But if the infection has gone systemic, that is what I would consider necessary.

And I try to remember to say, a vet is the best idea for health issues if you can get to one. I understand that distance and cost can keep us from getting help from a vet. I can only offer you my ideas and opinions for you to consider.

Oh, and I love ducks. I like people a lot, too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. ducksducks

ducksducks New Egg

Jan 5, 2014
    Very helpful, thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome to the Duck Forum [​IMG]

9. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Bumble foot usually heals on its own. To help it on its way though keep it clean and use hibi scrub on the birds foot. This is how I treat my ducks and chickens with it. If it gets worse it may however need lancing, which is best done by a vet.

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't doubt your experience, and at the same time from what I have seen on the forum over the years, it can get to a point where it gets ahead of the duck's immune system and needs intervention.

Definitely cleaning is good. What is hibi scrub?

I also agree that for any cutting - and really, in any case - it is best when we have a good duck vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by