I think my duck broke its leg, what do I do? Please Read?

Hibi scrub is a type of antiseptic usually sold for people at a chemists. It is very strong and so needs dilutig so it does not harm the animal. Lancing is a fairly simple procedure carried out with a sterile thin sarp needle to drain the acess of puss.

I understand lancing, and it helps with other animals, but those who have tried that with ducks discover the pus is not a smooth liquid, but rather has more the consistency of cottage cheese and is ineffective.

I was thinking the same HDF more of an injury, some Epsom salt soaks may be beneficial or compresses. Might she have jumped down off of something? even jumping out of the pool could have caused an injury. but a good pic of bottom of her foot would be nice too, and Amiga they hibi scrub is the same stuff I used on my hen it's just the human name for it. [this is what Iain Utah explained it as anyway.]

Last edited:
I agree Epsom salt soak is a really good idea. You think that kind of swelling might not be an infection? That is what I was thinking. The outer and inner toes look swollen and I thought I saw a bumble spot on one toe.

That said, Miss Lydia and HollyDuckFarmer have dealt with bumblefoot as much or more as I have. Won't hurt to put a small dab of iodine on the toe, or to wipe the foot and leg with triple antibiotic ointment after a nice soak.

Looking at it again it does look like there is some damage there but again a better pic in better light would sure help. Just treating my hen[chicken] for bumble I can say there isn't always a blk scab. so it could very well be, just better pics of bottom of foot and treating with colorless iodine and Epsom salt water would be good anyway. We need to here from OP on how she is doing and if we can get better pics so we can help better. And I do agree this could be an injury or infection but need to keep the thought of using an antibiotic and not waiting too long before deciding.

Last edited:
Sorry to go AWOL on y'all earlier. Miss Lydia & Amiga you are both exactly right. I do notice now what you saw (& kindly pointed out) Amiga. That could be Bumblefoot, but the reason why I'm not convinced it is is that swelling. Plus I think I see some white damage areas on the leg itself. The bumbles that I have dealt with have all had the black spots and each one that I have seen near the halux (or "heel" area) has been obviously rounded and swollen, like a marble. That being said, bumble that has progressed beyond something I've dealt with could very well cause swelling like that, which could then explain why your duck will not use her leg in the water. With a mild case of bumble, I'd think that she'd have relief while floating and would paddle. But if that is bumble, its def not a mild case. I would go straight to the Epsom Salt Soaks, 1-2t per cup of warm water (right?) -- I never measure, just pour it in and mix it up. I'd do that as often as you can, like 4x per day. And if after that, you're seeing areas that look like infection and look like bumble, then proceed to iodine. Lancing I personally do not like, once you are talking about an open wound like that, then if your duck's chances of infection increase dramatically. Unfortunately, I think if bumble has caused that much swelling, you might be looking at antibiotics. Lancing and antibiotics are both last ditch efforts for me here. You will have to do what works for you. Miss Lydia is right, more pics should help. I apologize in advance if I have confused the issue, these are just thoughts that I had after seeing that pic.

HollyDuckFarmer, we all contribute what you see. When you pointed out it does not look like typical bumblefoot, I looked again and I can see how you made that distinction.

As always, a vet is best.

And yes, the swelling of the leg and toes seems to indicate the infection needs antibiotic treatment.

I hope we hear back soon.

Back
Top Bottom