I think my duck has an eye infection. What should i do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by adroit14, Oct 20, 2015.

1. adroit14

adroit14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    I woke up today and found out my ducks eye is swollen. What should I do. Today, she seems a little agitated and unfriendly. I have provided a pic. How do I help her. Thank you. And sorry for little details, I have to go to school. sorry for the low quality pic, my phone is not good with photos up close.

2. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @adroit14 If you can get hold of some saline eye wash you can rinse out her eye she could ave a piece of feed dust or dirt etc stuck in there and rinsing out the eye may help. Or make you own, boil some water say 1 cup add half teaspoon of salt mix to dissolve the salt, let it cool then just gently a little at a time wash out her eye. If you don't see noticeable improvement by tomorrow go to feed stores and get some Terramycin eye salve and start using it.Any other symptoms? swollen eyes can sometimes mean sinus infection too so do a through examination when you get home from school

2 people like this.
  4. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    Ok its a free period. I can inly yell you the symtoms i saw this morning. She semmed agitated, and where the eye was swilen there was like bubbles. Its hard to describe. Like liquid bubbles. Mucus maybe. Also, how do i flush here eye with the solution.

5. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    Hmm that was werid my phone just automatically posted "false". Anyways, im on my way home.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Early eye infection is sometimes called "foamy eye." Sounds like what you are describing.

You can drip the solution gently into the eye with a dropper.

1 person likes this.
  7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Don't forget to check for nasal discharge and raspy breathing.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @adroit14 how is she tonight? Hopefully she just got a speck pf dirt or dust in her eye. I've had a few of mine do that and after they washed their heads a few times it was gone.. Does she have head washing bucket? put some ACV into her water 1-2 Tablespoons to 1 gal of water.

9. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    Ok it is still red but not as much. She can wash her head. Still a little foam.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you have Apple Cider Vinegar? if so use some in her water she'll wash her face and good possibility if it's an irritation the ACV will help alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by